cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My security log

N/A

My security log

My security from the past few days, courtesy of Sygate Personal Firewall. There seems to be a bit much in the way of dodgy looking stuff there, and I'm a tad worried with it. So, three questions are;

1) Is it anything to be concerned about, and is it an actual attack?
2) If so, how can I find out who is attacking?
3) And, how can I file a complaint with the relevant legal authorities about that person?

Cheers,
Dave
www.yourlost.com[/img]
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

My security log

If you want to report them send details to abuse@plus.net and they will investigate.

But, to be honest, the frequency that you are getting probed/scanned is really nothing to worry about as it is very infrequent. It would normally just be treated as 'internet noise' that everyone gets as there is a lot of this happening all over the internet.
N/A

My security log

It got fairly intense a bit later on. Between 3pm and when the connection fell over at ten past 6, there were a total of 54 attacks, roughly one every three minutes. If I get any more from the person, I'll inform them.

Cheers.
N/A

My security log

Hi

Is there an aspect of computer security and firewalls I do not fully understand?

Just curious as to why people seem to get concerned about "intrusion" attempts when to me it seems that the firewall is obviuosly doing it's job,and if I need to modify my practice of not worring about who or what is trying to get into the computers here at home as I know the firewalls are working,and every couple of months or so just clear the firewall logs on my wifes machine without bothering to read through them.

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My security log

It got fairly intense a bit later on. Between 3pm and when the connection fell over at ten past 6, there were a total of 54 attacks, roughly one every three minutes. If I get any more from the person, I'll inform them.

Cheers.

that is normal traffic for the IP that is probing you that is infected, its just scanning the same IP range its on to find others Not using a firewall to infect. So your not being attacked. So log the PN IP's and mail it to abuse once a month.

If you where being attacked your connection wouldn't be useable as your Router/Modem would be getting thousands of probes every second so using all the avaliable bandwidth, that is when you worry and start looking for help, but your firewall is doing its job so let it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

My security log

To use an analogy, if you were disturbed every ten minutes by some drunken ned twisting your door knob to see if your home was accessible or not, wouldn't you be a tad disturbed by it? What worries me more is that firewalls, like the lock on your front door, can only protect against what they are programmed to. I've a friend who reckons he can get through any firewall apart from a Cisco one. What's to say he's alone in that skill?

Hi

Is there an aspect of computer security and firewalls I do not fully understand?

Just curious as to why people seem to get concerned about "intrusion" attempts when to me it seems that the firewall is obviuosly doing it's job,and if I need to modify my practice of not worring about who or what is trying to get into the computers here at home as I know the firewalls are working,and every couple of months or so just clear the firewall logs on my wifes machine without bothering to read through them.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

My security log

Cheers, ADP.
N/A

My security log

To use an analogy, if you were disturbed every ten minutes by some drunken ned twisting your door knob to see if your home was accessible or not, wouldn't you be a tad disturbed by it?

A valid point,and someone rattling my doorknob would annoy me,as that is fairly obvious, and also it would annoy me if I kept getting warning windows popping from my firewall up on my screen.But as all the blocking goes on in the background I tend not to worry about it,and a quick scan of the logs usually just reveals a lot of "background noise".With the result that I just let the firewalls get on with it so to speak.I do however run and update the spyware and anti-virus software frequently on the wifes Windows machine so there is a touch of paranoia still present :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

My security log

I've had a number of hits against my routers firewall today, clearly the result of a virus, due to the ports it tried to access.

Do I e-mail the plus net user concered or pass this on to the plus net abuse account.

Cheers,

Aaron
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My security log

if its just a couple of PN users I email them direct and CC of it to abuse, if over 10 or more straight to abuse.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017