cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple users: email: Outlook Express

canary2211
Grafter

:?: Struggling a bit! I am a bit of a novice!

There are 4 of us in my family. Each would like an email address, passworded. I have set up mailboxes eg Fred@Fredbloggs.plus.net but all the test etc e mails go to a single Outlook Express identity (whichever happens to be running at the time)

In OE each user has an identity, with their own password.

How do I make Fred's messages go to Freds Outlook Express, and Jane's go to Janes, and maintain passwords?

Help please! Thanks in advance!

Moderators note by Chris: This isn't ADSL related, moving to a more relevent forum
13 REPLIES
N/A

Outlook express, different users

Hello,

To have mutliple users each with their own Outlook account, you need to set up a new "identity" for each user.

To do this, open up Outlook Express and click on file, then identities. Then follow the on screen menu to set up each e-mail address as a new account. It will even give you the option to add passwords.

One of the identities will be the default, so make sure the the most fequently used e-mail address is the default option or you will quickly get fed up with switching from one to another !Smiley

I hope this proves useful,
Best regards,

Gareth
N/A

Earlier reply

Sorry,

I just re-read your post and realised that you already have different identities. Shockedops:
N/A

Ok ,

I,ve just tried it myself.

Set up a new identity for each address but don't forget to go into accounts and remove the various e-mail accounts you have. These have then to be set up in each outlook for each identity. i.e. Treat each identity as a completely separate program with it's own settings. That will ensure that e-mails will only go to their rightful recipients.

Hope you understand what I'm getting at there!
N/A

And remember to specify the usernames correctly.

For identity 'fred' the OE account username would be 'fredbloggs+fred' and the password the one you specified for the 'fred' PlusNet mailbox. For identity 'jane' it would be 'fredbloggs+jane' with the password for the 'jane' mailbox ...

One identify will also need an additional "default" OE account for all mail not addressed to a specific mailbox. The OE account username here would be 'fredbloggs' and the password the main password on your PlusNet account.
Simon_M
Grafter

I struggled with Identities in OE for a while & decided that it was easier, more flexible & more secure to ignore Identities & set each person up as a separate User in Windows (this was on a W98SE machine).

Each User can have their own personal OE configuration.

See how you get on. If Identities work for you, great; if not, Users are another option.
canary2211
Grafter

:? Thanks for the help ........but.....it dosn't work.

I have set up 3 Plusnet mail boxes: default, Fred, and Jane.

I have set up 3 OE identities, default, Fred and Jane. Using the details

email: fred@fredbloggs.plus.com
jane@fredbloggs.plus.com

If I send an email addressed to test@fredbloggs.plus.com it arrives - so I must have other settings correct.

But if I send an email from Fred to Jane, or from Jane to Fred or from Fred to Fred (ie fred@fredbloggs.plus.com), then nothing arrives (I do not get an error message, so it seems to be sent - just not recieved).

Help! Stuck now!

I blame ntl - having left them, they have cancelled my ntl email names which worked fine - now I don't have any email at all! Drat!
N/A

Hey Nick

Seems as though your very confused.

Contact me on one of these and I will talk you through it

MSN
AIM

or prefebly

Grafter

You are a star! I will be with you soon - setting up ICQ
N/A

Ok M8
canary2211
Grafter

FIXED! See my new post on this forum which hopefully is helpful to others. The problem is easy - you must have different passwords for the main default account and each Plus Net mailbox! At least that worked for me.
canary2211
Grafter

FIXED! See my new post on this forum which hopefully is helpful to others. The problem is easy - you must have different passwords for the main default account and each Plus Net mailbox! At least that worked for me.
N/A

told you so :lol:
Community Veteran

I am now locking this thread as the original poster has started a new one on this very same subject.
Any more replies or comments to the new thread here