Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple access points

krodgers
Grafter

Multiple access points

I don't quite know how to phrase this.
It seems so simple, and yet I suspect is impossible.

Given a website http://www.user.plus.com
I could have an index page from which which vistors could go to several sections of that site,
e.g. cars, planes, boats, etc.

Is it possible for a visitor to go DIRECTLY to the cars, or planes, or boats part without going to the index page first? If so, how? Or is this impossible on a single, ISP-hosted site like ours?

Ken Rodgers
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Multiple access points

I'm not sure I fully undertstand what you are asking?

If the various sections (cars, boats etc) are all part of the same web site, when I visit how do you know I wanted to go to cars, boats etc.

You could do it by just going to www.user.plus.com/cars or does this seem too simple or obvious? in each folder you would have an index.html . On external web sites you just link to this instead of your main index.

Or are you talking about sub domains line www.cars.user.plus.com will go the the cars section of the web site and www.boats.user.plus.com will go to the boats section - I don't think this is possible but just sounding out the idea?
N/A

Multiple access points

This is depends how you want the interaction to take place. A few methods I can think of.

1: Directory structure

If you structure your site correctly, they can visit the sections with ease.

IE, place all car content in the a directory called cars. The main page for cars should be called index.html just like your main site.

http://www.username.plus.com/cars/

That would be the quick access method for cars.

2: @ names

Allthough normaly reserved for authentication, most browsers will supply information (provided javascript is enabled) to client side scripting for it to use.

Based on a list in your main page, specific @ names would take you to specific places.

http://cars@www.username.plus.com/

That would then re-direct you to the real page.

3: Cookie redirection

This is a fancy way of making a section of your visitors website default. When they enter the site, they are automaticaly redirected to the correct page. WIth some more tricks, they could then navigate your site without being forced back to the default page, until they next restart there browser.

This is a fancy method but is also hard to do, as it requires the most code and intergrating into your site.

All three above are listed in order of ease, 1 being the easiest. Can you exaplain your needs further?
krodgers
Grafter

Multiple access points

OHMYGOD!!!!!

I'm so sorry - but this is all Plusnets fault for letting coconuts like me open an account!

I had been playing for hours trying to do this, and quite forgotten that these things are case-sensitive!

So sorry, but many thanks:-)

Ken Rodgers
N/A

Multiple access points

I'm so sorry - but this is all Plusnets fault for letting coconuts like me open an account!

LOL. They even allowed me to open one and didn't even ask for my credentials!

Smiley