cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla and my site

N/A

Mozilla and my site

I have a frame on my website that links to a page in my cgi directory (Not in the cgi-bin so it isn't forbiddon)
Just recently Mozilla Firefox comes up with an alert box saying the file /gm.html could not be found. I've checked on Internet Explorer and everything is working fine.

If I go to the page manually in Internet Explorer it works but if I go to the page manualy in Mozilla Firefox it comes up with the file/gm.html could not be found.

Is this because of the CGI work that is going on?

Here, try it! http://cgi.fullvolume.plus.com/gm.html
19 REPLIES
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Unfortunately I have found that firefox does not always act the same as Explorer, for example the Mialto command is not recognised. Sad

Cheers
John
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Not just Mozilla that doesn't like it, I'm afraid.

Netscape 6.2 gives me a basically blank page with just a message that says
[object Window]
FILE NOT FOUND

Opera 6.02 does not like it much either - shows a pic in the frame, but with "FILE NOT FOUND" in the top left of it, so presumably something is missing and I'm still not seeing what you intended.
N/A

Mozilla and my site

I have Firefox 0.8 and i can access it fine :shock:

Tried it in Opera 7.23 and get this

[object WindowCollection]Your browser does not support JavaScript and therefore cannot view the site. Please obtain a more recent browser or turn on JavaScript

Although Javascript is enabled in Opera
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Netscape 6.2 gives me a basically blank page with just a message that says
[object Window]
FILE NOT FOUND

Tried it in Opera 7.23 and get this

[object WindowCollection]Your browser does not support JavaScript and therefore cannot view the site. Please obtain a more recent browser or turn on JavaScript

That is indeed annoying! My web site is based around an external javascript file and in the html code of each page is a collection of document.write
The symptoms your having are like when I was building the file and had something wrong in the coding of the .js file. The only thing that I can think that may be doing this is that in an if statement it had screen.width and screen.width is not specified in the javascript code(should be the width of your screen)

Hmmm... unless. Could you try to go to www.fullvolume.plus.com/home.html It may be because I was lazy and stupid and put in a document.write for the frameset. Shockedops:

I have Firefox 0.8 and i can access it fine :shock:

How very odd. :shock: I'm using Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Opera 6.02 does not like it much either - shows a pic in the frame, but with "FILE NOT FOUND" in the top left of it, so presumably something is missing and I'm still not seeing what you intended.

The frame should go to my gm.html page. Which does exist but has just, stopped working!

Does the rest of the site work in Opera? I havn't got them to test it with
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Unfortunately I have found that firefox does not always act the same as Explorer, for example the Mialto command is not recognised. Sad

Cheers
John

:shock: Does here!
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Hmmm... unless. Could you try to go to www.fullvolume.plus.com/home.html It may be because I was lazy and stupid and put in a document.write for the frameset.

In opera 7.23 this works fine. can now see the pages
N/A

Mozilla and my site

In opera 7.23 this works fine. can now see the pages

Thank you. I've just got Opera to test it on now. Do you have any idea what the
if (navigator.appName == "") variable for it would be? Because I don't think Opera worked
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Using Opera 6.01 (not 6.02, that was a typo earlier)
Home page is fine, same as in IE, as is Toby's page, so no problem other than that gm page with Opera it seems.

Using Mozilla Firebird 0.7 produces some oddities though.
Home page is OK, except that it gives me the message that I'd be better off using 1024x768 - which is exactly what I am using.
If I click on an individual page, e.g. Toby, I get the text in the frame but no picture.
N/A

Mozilla and my site

That is very odd. I'm using Mozilla 0.8 and everything works fine here.

I presume the site looks all badly designed aswell if it thinks you are 800x600. The way my js file works is that there are 4 different site layouts depending on screen size and browser. Maybe 0.7 doesn't support screen.width :?:
N/A

Mozilla and my site

I wouldn't say it looks badly designed, but certainly different.
The counter appears to the right of the frame instead of underneath it, and the messages are at the bottom instead of to the right.

It all fits the screen width though - no bottom scrollbar to have to mess about with.

Being technologically fairly clueless, I would not like to even begin to guess what the problem and answer are, but if you like I can e-mail you screenshots of how it looks with IE 5.5 and how it looks with Firebird 0.7 for comparison if that would help.
N/A

Mozilla and my site

Hmmm.. Some things you said sounded confusing. Yea, could you send me screenshots? That would be good! Send it to steve@ you know the rest.
N/A

Mozilla and my site

On their way - forgot to say in the e-mail that I've not trimmed them at all, so if you view them full screen you'll see exactly what I'm seeing without any extra borders.

Best of luck.
N/A

Mozilla and my site

If anyone is watching this post the gm.html works now. And I don't know why :roll:

This Mozilla thing is encredibly odd. The site is indeed reading you as 800x600 resolution. Well, either that or it's just ignoring the if screen.width statements.

Try going to http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jscreen.htm and clicking on the Click for your screen resolution link. I'd be interested to know what the alert box says.
N/A

Mozilla and my site

The good news first .......

Whatever you've done has solved the screen resolution problem with Firebird 0.7.
It now recognises that I'm using 1024x768, and the messages are to the right of the frame - all looks exactly the same as in IE 5.5.
So - the homepage is fine.

Now the bad news ......
Even with IE 5.5, there is now no text in the frame on the gm page - it has the pic and a "FILE NOT FOUND" message.

Incidentally, although your page is now recognising my screen resolution correctly, I did try that screen resolution link just out of interest, and that also recognises that I'm using 1024x768.