cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozila Thundebird

N/A

Mozila Thundebird

Can you help I am trying to set up thunderbird as my mail client but I cant send mail Sad it keeps asking me for my account password but when I enter it nothing happens and it re-asks for my password. When I installed thunderbird I used import settings from outlook express
user name is : barriewoodward
server name : relay.plus.net
port : 25

I can't work out what I am doing wrong :x

Please help if only for my sanity I know it has to be simple I can recieve mail just unable to send it

Thank Barrie
7 REPLIES
zpeterk
Grafter

Mozila Thundebird

Go to account setting - out going server settings - "use secure connection" check the no box
N/A

Mozila Thundebird

Hi I have looked in smtp settings and secure connection is no

When I give up and hit cancel I get a message:
Sending of mail failed
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server relay.plus.net failed, the server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Pease verify your SMTP server settings is correct and try again, if not contact your network administrator.

I cant see a problem with my settings I have compared them to Outlook express settings and they look to be the same so what am I doing wrong? Sad

I know it must be simple but I just cant see it :x
N/A

Mozila Thundebird

I'm getting exactly the same problem in Thunderbird.

I've checked all my settings, authentication is set to No, correct username and password are being entered, Norton email scanning was turned off and I still can't send emails via Thunderbird.

Just setup an account in Outlook Express using the same settings and it all works fine.

Doing a quick search on here shows that other people are having the same problems but no solution has been offered apart from turn off authentication which doesn't solve it.

Has anybody on here managed to send emails OK using Thunderbird Huh
Teatime
Grafter

Mozila Thundebird

I'm getting exactly the same problem in Thunderbird.

I've checked all my settings, authentication is set to No, correct username and password are being entered, Norton email scanning was turned off and I still can't send emails via Thunderbird.

Just setup an account in Outlook Express using the same settings and it all works fine.

Doing a quick search on here shows that other people are having the same problems but no solution has been offered apart from turn off authentication which doesn't solve it.

Has anybody on here managed to send emails OK using Thunderbird Huh

I've been using Thunderbird for an eternity - or it seems that way! Unless I have misunderstood, I think the problem is that you are specifying a username/password for the outgoing (SMTP) connection: neither is needed - they are just specified for incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP). What I specify for the SMTP connection is:

relay.plus.net
port 25
"Use name and password" left unticked
"Use secure connection" set to No

Ivor
N/A

Mozila Thundebird

Ivor

Thanks for that.

Unticked the 'Use Name and password' and it works perfectly.
N/A

Mozila Thundebird

Thank you at last as I thought a simple correction and it works like a dream good bye outlook express hello Thunderbird :lol:
All problems currently solved once again thanks
cheers for now Wink
bobgidden
Grafter

Mozila Thundebird

Just for the record, in case others have problems, there is a load of help and tutorial material on the web.

If you have gmail too, it's easy to configure tbird to check both +net and gmail, I do this and use smtp.gmail.com as my outgoing server for both systems, which sidesteps your problem with using +net's send relay. Gmail has a help file aimed at an early tbird version, but it works pretty well for 1.5 too - you just have to be a little flexible in interpreting the screenshots icon_wink.gif

See
http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13285
and
http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

http://opensourcearticles.com/articles/thunderbird_15/english/part_01
leads to sections covering : installing, interface guide, creating a signature, attachments and address book, spam filters, importing email and contacts, message filters, newsgroups, installing downloading and changing themes, and accessing email from gmail & yahoo.

And of course,
http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_settings/setup/thunderbird.shtml
is +Net's own support advice for tbird.

HTH
Regards,
BobG