cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my Outlook Distress ?

tony_madge
Dabbler

Hi wonder if you can help I use Outlook Express. I am putting a new PC together and I would like to save all my messages etc then transfer them to the new computer with Outlook Express on that one, I will be using Windows XP Home. Is it possible to do this IE: Save the file? to a CD then install it into the new Outlook Express?
Many thanks Tony
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes.

Find where you are storing your messages:

in OE tools -> options -> maintenance tab -> store folder

Then find that directory on disk and write it's contents (including the directory name) to a CD.

Copy the directory into the same place on the new windows install (the directory should be adifferent to what is already there).

On the new OE: tools -> options -> maintenance tab -> store folder

Click change and brows to the folder you have just copied. Then click OK.

Exit OE then run it again and all your messages should be there.

You also need to copy over your personal address book. Just look for a .pab file somewhere and copy it over to the same place or you can export your address book (file -> export -> address book) to a file then import it to your new OE (file -> import -> address book).
Community Veteran

You also need to copy over your personal address book. Just look for a .pab file

I think you may find that the address book is Windows Address book and will be a file ending in .wab
Community Veteran

Yep, thanks for the correction John. pab files are used by outlook not outlook express.
tony_madge
Dabbler

Thanks guys I guess I can try this out first off all on my laptop that way I will know it works before I cremate this hard drive Cheesy
tony_madge
Dabbler

Well tried what you said with no luck...the folder inside indentities that the store folder is, shows empty but I still did as you said follwed every instruction. However when I then checked my Outlook Express on my laptop I saw only the few messages that were already there??
When I put the new Identities folder into the same location as the old one on the Laptop I renamed the old one then moved it out of the folder completley but when I went to tools and store folder location and manually tried to select the "replaced" identities folder it used it but the ID code was still the old one although I can see its the new one if I manually go into that folder...this may sound confusing..trust me I am confused... Cheesy
Community Veteran

What Peter has described should work but it may be a little easier to alter it slightly.

First create a new directory on the root of c drive and call it emails for want of a better word

Open Outlook Express then select tools - options maintenance - file store as before.
But this time select change folder and use the new emails folder that you have created.
Apply and exit out of this and then exit outlook Express.
When you open it again it will move all your mail into the new emails folder.

Now you know exactly where your emails are stored and can copy that folder to another machine.

Once the folder has been copied to another machine do the same again with outlook Express and change the store folder to emails.
This will now bring your old emails up and make them useable on the second machine.

Hope that helps
Community Veteran

When you open it again it will move all your mail into the new emails folder.

Interesting... did not know that would happen. I just thought it restarts on empty as if you had nothing setup.
Community Veteran

Yes with Outlook express it does in fact move all the existing mail into the newly created folder.
I always make use of this feature and set up my mail storage to be on a drive other than C:
Then if I need to format C: for any reason I dont loose any mail.
Much better as well than having it burried into the deeply nested folders that windows insists on Smiley

I just wish I could find a way to do the same with the Address book :?
tony_madge
Dabbler

It worked...Many thanks for the excellent advice Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran