cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving IPS tags

crusty
Grafter

Moving IPS tags

I have been asked to go about getting back control of a friends domain name from someone who is playing funny games. He is a reseller for a reputable ISP but is adding on huge amounts for doing nothing and then billing my friend. The ISP will only take instructions from the reseller to transfer to another IPS tag in case they have any money outstanding, but they will do it free of charge. I am expecting him to request a large fee to transfer the domain.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if it is a legal requirement in the uk for service providers to transfer domains from one IPS tag to another, free of charge, at the request of the registrant? All the ones I have dealt with in the recent past do.

2. I have read that it is possible to do this through Nominet (for £15) without involving either the ISP or the reseller. Is this correct?

The bill he has just sent says that the his hosting expires in two days, so if this is true there should be no early settlement payment required.

Many thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

Moving IPS tags

From my understanding of things...

A domain registrar is obligated to transfer a domain to another IPSTAG if so requested by a customer, but, can charge an 'administration fee' for doing so.

Nominet can transfer a domain's IPSTAG for £15+VAT, assuming the domain is registered in your name and hasn't expired.

Many people prefer to register their domains with a company like 123-reg (owned by Pipex these days) and then buy hosting elsewhere - it avoids the whole domain hostage situation some hosts seem to enjoy doing these days.
crusty
Grafter

Moving IPS tags

Thanks stewart.

Funny you should mention 123-reg I use them a lot. They are good for hosting as well. It is them I am transferring this domain to.
N/A

Moving IPS tags

You mention the handling by a reseller - any clues as to the website of this outfit (so we can avoid it - clearly your friend may have misunderstood what charges applied, and others mayspot them, unless they're hidden in small print).

I've certainly seen some firms have "transfer out" fees as well as "transfer in" while others do .uk transfers for free (eg ukreg.com) and considering these are separate from renewal fees, something I'd try to avoid if at all possible!!

On the Nominet site it shows 15 +VAT on their FAQ about tranfers

http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/maintain/changeagent/faq/

Personally I've decided to avoid Nominet IPSTAGs altogether and use other TLDs (.org, .info, .com) because domains can be registered for up to 10 years (do it when the dollar is cheap) and all the contact info is under the user's control - half the contact fields on Nominet domains aren't visible, let alone easily modified by a user even via control panels at 123-reg.co.uk or ukreg.com
crusty
Grafter

Moving IPS tags

I don't want to give the name of the firm concerned for legal reasons but you don't need to worry about avoiding them. From what I've heard they are going under.

In short the guy removed the site and replaced it with a unavailable page stating non payment and demanded £1500 for transferring it. Fortunately I found a copy of the site on one of their computers. I just went to the Nominet web site, paid the £15 plus vat and faxed the companies headed paper. The site transferred over to 123-reg in one day. An excellent service!

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they saw the site was back up again. :shock:

Thanks to all for the input.