cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse Freezes... Intermittently.... Virus or What?

godricbj
Grafter

I have two computers that have intermittently freezing mouse problems.

somthing is hitting the cpu real hard.... then stops and then starts again i think.

i have scanned with norton internet security and ad-aware, and all is now "all clear"... but no improvement.

all win98se patches up to feb 04

so bad ie6 is almost unusable.

daul booting to a clean install... all is ok.... so not hardware.

any ideas.

many thanks

godricbj
6 REPLIES
N/A

Goto http://www.sysinternals.com/ and download their free process viewer leave it running and see if you can see what the process is thats causing the problem.

What printer do you have? Are you networked? Its often due to a network connection as its trying to make a network conection that it cant find like a mapped drive or a printer.

HP printers often start a procces that does this as well.

Get startupcpl from http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and disable anything thats not needed in the startup as that is were the problem may lie
bobgidden
Grafter

Using IE6 with W98se doesn't help too much either - they sometimes get in a punch-up. See my post here for more detail.

HTH

BobG
N/A

I was having this the other day, i brought Norton Firewall up and hit statistics and noticed i was repeatedly being probed over and over again (again by a PN IP) I then clicked intrusion detection tab and clicked rach ip in that list and restricted every one of them (again lots of PN IPs in there)

That sorted it out for me.
N/A

lots of ppl got infected by msblast / slammer/sasser which all scan for other people, maybe we should just go and rehack all those ips that are scanning you and remove it for them ^_^

Buz
N/A

That's exactly what the Nachi worm tried - however since it scanned for infected IPs in the same way as the Blaster worm, it created traffic problems.
N/A

im sowwie for not adding natchi to the list :p