cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More help on spam please

N/A

More help on spam please

I have only been a Plus net subscriber for a couple of weeks, and already I am getting spam.

I came home today after 6 days and my old (pre Plus) address had 748 messages, only three of which I needed. My Plus addresses had four, three of which contained viruses.

Can I arrange to have all my boxes sent to one email address, then get Mailwasher to check that address? I have it well trained on my old email address, and as I am discontinuing that I could transfer it to one Plus address.

I have tried re-direct, but It will not accept existing mail boxes.

TIA
John
14 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

More help on spam please

If you don't set up any redirects/mailboxes/mailing lists on your account, then all mail can be collected using "mail.plus.net" with your usual username and password.
N/A

More help on spam please

I have however set up a number of mailboxes, as I wished to keep mail from various sources seperate, not thinking that I would get spam when I only send to selected people, but I guess their address books have been compromised. :x

So why can I not redirect the mail into those boxes to another address, as I would wish to if I went away and still wished to collect my mail?
csogilvie
Grafter

More help on spam please

If you want them redirected elsewhere why not add a redirect? I'm confused as to what you want... you want to pick up all your mail from one account but still use mailboxes?
Community Veteran

More help on spam please

Not being able to redirect a named (i.e. existing) mailbox is one of the limitations with the current mail system, you can only do it for a non-named mailbox. I don't know if this will be changes when webmail is revamped.

Spammers often spoof the senders email address to make it look like you sent it to them or they sent it to you. This does not mean 'select people's' mailboxes or your mailboxes are compromised.
csogilvie
Grafter

More help on spam please

Not being able to redirect a named (i.e. existing) mailbox is one of the limitations with the current mail system, you can only do it for a non-named mailbox. I don't know if this will be changes when webmail is
I'm sure its open as an idea, or has been suggested in Ideas and Suggestions.
Community Veteran

More help on spam please

I wasn't sure and as the forum search is bust I could not check so did not mention it. :roll:
csogilvie
Grafter

More help on spam please

Idea 2566 discussed here
N/A

More help on spam please

Petervaughan wrote:
Not being able to redirect an existing mailbox.......

If I have a mailbox called "fred" and delete it I assume I will then be able to redirect "fred". Can I then re-create "fred" keeping the redirect in place, getting arround it that way?
csogilvie
Grafter

More help on spam please

Nope. You can't have more than one "fred"
N/A

More help on spam please

You can delete the mailbox named "fred", and then create a redirect named "fred".

Tim
N/A

More help on spam please

I am very confused by the redirect. What is the point of redirecting mail if, (say) I go to stay with my daughter, to her email box if I cannot redirect email boxes that I have set up into which my mail will normally arrive? It seems rather pointless to me, and I cannot see a use for it. I am hoping that some kind soul can enlighten me. :?
Community Veteran

More help on spam please

As I said earlier, it's just one of the limitations of the PlusNets current email system and a request (idea) to change it in a future version has already been made.

There is no way around the current system. You can only redirect email for an address if you don't have a mailbox specifically created for it.

Because PlusNet allow anything@username.plus.com as an email address spammers can send spam to random or named email addresses which you may not use normally and they would all go into your default mailbox. The current redirect allows you to redirect email addresses you don't use to somewhere else so your default mailbox does not fill up with spam.

For created (named) mailboxes, PlusNet has assumed you want some of the email in there so they rely on you to filter out what you don't need so did not offer a redirect option for them.
N/A

More help on spam please

I am grateful for the help received, and I understand now how it does not work but if I may quote Customer Support/Add Redirect:

Add redirect Use this button to redirect your mail to another e-mail address, If you are going away or just want your mail sending to another address for convenience, this is the easiest way to do it. For example, if you wanted Mark's mail forwarding to his Hotmail account you would need to enter mark in the 'name' field and mark@hotmail.com in the 'redirection to' field.
UNQUOTE

Apart from getting rid of spurious emails at addresses you don't want it just does not work, and certainly not as Support seem to beleive. :x
csogilvie
Grafter

More help on spam please

That does work... however, not if Mark is also a mailbox!