cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Windows Updates - 13 April 2004

N/A

If you are experiencing difficulties following Windows update today, see

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=254EB128-5053-48A7-8526-BD38215C74B2&displa...

(I was unable to sign in to MSN Messenger without applying this patch).
7 REPLIES
pcorker
Grafter

What a weird piece of information!
If I read it correctly, it says:
If you might have applied a security patch called whatever (does anyone note the names?) then it might have caused a problem with IE which you might have noticed. If so, there's a patch to use if you think you might have a problem which we might have caused which you might or might not have noticed
If you havent noticed yet..... what?
Why did they not just say "Here's a new patch for a possible problem?"
Rant over,
Thanks anyway!
Community Veteran

Q831167 IS one of the 6 windows updates for XP that were made available today so I don't understand your comment 'If you are experiencing difficulties following Windows update today' ?

The update that Q831167 corrects (MS04-004) was issued around Feb 2nd so it's not really a recent update and it was not one of the updates released today.
N/A

Point taken regarding dates!

What now concerns me is that KB831167 was only received by me on 13th April, by auto live update!

I notice reports elsewhere of weird OE/IE activity today.

Could the patch be the solution?

Who Knows, but all systems go for me at the moment!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Would recommend that everyone downloads the updates manualy, the updater even after manually applying that first one still has problems.

So get the list of updates, click the more info for each and get the download link.

NB 2 of them take nearly 5 mins each just to install, so have a coffee when running them.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I agree, I would also recommend manual & individual updates, if for no other reason than to single out those particular ones which may be problematic. Also, you may run into major difficulties if you lose connection mid-download, or if power fails during application.

However I prefer the challenge.......!
N/A

order the Cd at http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

read about it at : http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1563496,00.asp

It contains all Windows security patches, so in the event of a rebuild, you don't have to download them.

The article above refers to the guy getting a CD dated Feb 2004 - thats what mine is (got it yesterday).

Haven't actually needed it yet, but the article is a good read...
N/A

CD is well worth the effort.

I read about it int he register, and they commented on how out of date it was already. Ordered mine and it was the Feb one, rather than last years one.

I should have 3 copies of it soon, because I am sure one will go walkies very easily.