cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

Metalguru
Grafter

Has anybody yet tried the Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) available here:- http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

Any thoughts / reviews would be greatly appreciated, as I am naturally conservative by nature, and reasonably happy with my trusty Ad-Aware.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I've not tried it but being M$ $oftware I would not be to trusting! But that's my opinion.
N/A

This is basically GIANT Antispyware as Microsoft acquired the spyware program/technology from GIANT Company Software Inc.

It has been known to throw up quite a few false positives and you would be better off using the freeware programs which are available.
N/A

I've been using it since January (on Win XP SP2), never gave me any problems. There were a few false positives appearing after one of the upgrades, but they soon released a replacement upgrade that took care of that.

It's a good addition to Spybot S&D and Lavasoft's Adaware, especially since it includes real-time protection. Believe it or not, it's FREE ! At first it looked like Micro$oft was going to charge for it, but then they announced they intended to keep it free. And so far they have Smiley

The only snag is : it's only compatible with Win XP.
craigbrass
Grafter

I have used it a good few times now and I rate it better than most anyway. I have used it to de-spyware 3 laptops and 2 computers owned by friends and it gets rid of all the crap on there.

Only problem I find is they are not updating definitions as much as they should!
N/A

it's good. it picked up some dialers that adaware and spybot couldn't. i scan will all three though.
home99
Grafter

Yep I've used it too - never any problems but is never picked up anything either so god knows if its working.

Regards

Dave
Stef
Grafter

I've read some very *positive* independent reviews of it based on actual usage. I'll be trying it out myself shortly...

Regards, Stef
N/A

Ran it while under the control of Giant and it was fine, just updated to M$ version and still as good - as per other comments run in combination with other free apps like SpyBot and AdAware keeps the old box clean!
N/A

I run this alongside, Spybot S&D & Pest Patrol, I like it, but like others, it misses some and gets others that other programs miss.. its always best to run two or three different ones.

As for false positives, never had any with it.
N/A

I would recommend it, along side Spybot & Adaware