cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft - The Hackers Friend ?

N/A

The only way that I can get updates from Microsoft now that they no longer allow Magazines to incorporate them on cover discs is online and with both my firewalls (router and Zone Alarm) disabled. What was it they were promoting last year, oh yes - Safer Computing.

No, I'd better be fair, having researched why Windows Update wasn't working for me and having found that they recommend disabling both Firewall and Virus Protection, they do say to enable them again afterwards - that is if you've still got a bootable system....

(suppose the only saving grace is nat)
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You're not the only person who is thoroughly fed up of Microsoft. Evil I'd love to move to the Mac system (it seems I'd be able to do everything I'd want to do on it) - I just wish they were cheaper!

Oh well. Better luck next life. :?

Thomas

Edit: apologies for going off topic! Shockedops:
N/A

... always found Macs a bit too quirky e.g. how do you get a floppy out ? by dropping it in the bin - but doesn't that erase it?

We should all go back to beebs - hard reset and everything works again and if not drop it from 11.5 inches onto a hard surface and it will definitely work.

Actually - I'm just feeling nostalgic and grumpy because I can't get my new wireless kit working.
csogilvie
Grafter

I'm quite attached to Linux as a desktop system now.

Incidently, the Mac thing about dragging floppy disks to a trash can is really confusing Smiley

I must admit, with Norton Internet Security, I've never needed to disable the Firewall on the Antivirus to use windows update (quickly going back to the original topic)
Community Veteran

Lol... the best operating system I've ever used is the Palm OS. Wink Shame it's only for PDAs!

It's slightly worrying about your wireless thing not working (I've seen the thread) - I was planning on getting the same device as you, but now I'm not so sure! :?

Thomas
N/A

<snip> but now I'm not so sure! :?

No - don't let me put you off - it works fine - I'm sure that it's a problem of my own making.

I bought a laptop from PCWorld - a modem/router from Dabs because PCWorld were out of stock - and then when I found out that the laptop didn't really have an integrated wireless network adapter as it claimed to have a Linksys pcmcia card from PCWorld because they'd only got 11b Belkin cards in stock.

What I really want is a tardis so I can go back and drag me away from PCWorld door.

I'm sure the belkin kit is OK.
N/A

To be very honest here, I too hate the Mirosoft way, however, I can't see your problem/beef being with Microsoft in this instance.

1: Who is it blocking the Windows Update site?

It certainly isn;t a MS product. You have noted that disabling the non-MS product enables it.

2: Why is it blocking it?

Is it being over powerful. Each time they make a change to the updating system (around once per 3 months), you can simply re-agree to enble access.

3: Why isn't it easier for you to access it?

Because that would be the simple and obvious thing to do.

4: Is it a user setting?

Allthough some of these companies could make them a little easier to access when they do provide them (not often), many a times, there are some obvious settings a user can change to enable access without compromising security.

1, 2, 3 & 4, are either of them being caused by MS. OK, maybe te the updates to the update system are made by MS, but isn't them refusing your the access.

Can you honestly blame MS for not providing you with access to somthing that is working perfectly if you don't use a product they have no control over?
N/A

Lol... the best operating system I've ever used is the Palm OS. Wink Shame it's only for PDAs!

Thomas

I know what you mean I use 2 Psion Palmtops and their OS is solid as a rock - think I've "re-booted" about twice in approx 10/12 years and you can run virtualy every prog on the machines with no slow down.

This is how good computing can be..ah well back to the Microsoft world Sad Evil
N/A

Can you honestly blame MS for not providing you with access to somthing that is working perfectly if you don't use a product they have no control over?

...nahh - the dying minutes of a long wasted day trying to get wireless to work and I was feeling grumpy.

MS provided the answer for me after all. Disable your firewall and disable your Virus Protection. They were quite right that worked so it must be good advice :lol:
Community Veteran

Just to note, you can download Windows updates without using the normal Windows Update method.

There is an option called the Windows catalog (I'll post the URL on Monday when Im next in work). This allows you to manually choose the ones you want and install them. It's not fantastic but I'm sure it does the job as well as a CD cover disc would.

Chris
Community Veteran

Chris, Windows Catalogue is not Windows Update Catalogue - two different things. :lol:

Longedge, it appears that there's no way to link to the Windows Update Catalogue, so I'll just tell you how to get to it. First, go to Windows Update. Go to "Personalize Windows Update" then check the option that says "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also". Click "Save Settings" and it'll be there. Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran

Chris, Windows Catalogue is not Windows Update Catalogue - two different things.

Maybe so, but you get what I meant :p

Chris
N/A

Thanks for that Cool - I now see the Windows Update Catalog it seems to be accurate in it's awareness of my installed updates. I'll try it for a week or two and see how things go.