cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messenger and Zone Alarm

N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

Being new to routers and firewalls, I've been looking at Zone Alarm's logs and have noticed numerous blocked outgoing accesses by program Messenger. I think I probably decided to block the accesses initially because I didn't know what they were for, with the intention of allowing them if they proved to be necessary.
All seems well, but these entries continue to appear but there are hundreds of them.
I've disabled Windows Messenger Services, but that had no effect. Now I've de-installed via the control panel Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger, but the entries continue. I think possibly the de-install of Messenger wasn't actually a de-install, but removal of it from the start menu.
How can I get rid of these entries? Should I get rid of them? Should I just allow them instead of blocking them? What on earth are they for?
Help! :? :? :?
Allan
8 REPLIES
N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

If you dont want messenger, leave Zone Alarm blocking them

Run Msconfig.exe and disable messenger in services and the relevent entry in startup. That will stop it altogether.
Community Veteran

Messenger and Zone Alarm

There are a couple of methods for disabling messanger (not MSN messanger) detailed in the General: Essential Security software tutorial.
N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

To cqg4uzg
Perhaps I'm missing it, but I can't see either of those entries using msconfig.
To peter
I had already disabled Windows Messenger Services, using ShootTheMessenger. That definitely does stop the use of that facility, but had no effect on my zonealarm entries.

So, I went back to square one. In zonealarm, I deleted the entry for Messenger and waited for a few minutes until it flagged an access attempt. It was from msmsgs.exe, so the alerts belong to Windows Messenger, not Messenger Services, and apparently reporting me as logged on. Because zonealarm says OE depends on Messenger, I decided eventually to allow the accesses instead of blocking them. While I don't use Windows/MSN Messenger it's obviously running and my alert log isn't getting hit.

Thanks
Allan
N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

msconfig would show 'msmsgs.exe' as a running application or service. That is what you would have to have stopped. MSN messenger would not show up if you had already disabled it at startup some other way.
N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

Hi again
No, it doesn't show up at all in msconfig, but I have found msmsgs.exe as a process in Task Manager. Zonelab refers to it as the main MSN Messenger program. I don't know of any security risk here (yet.)
It was Messenger Services that I'd disabled, via ShootThe Messenger. This is the area spammers have targetted., popping adverts directly on to the screen.
I think I'm happy now.

Thanks again
Allan Smiley
N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

To be honest, I can't remember what I did, it is so long ago.
I seem to remember disabling windows messenger in msconfig, then restarting and removing all instances of it from the registry and all related programmes.
N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

N/A

Messenger and Zone Alarm

Hi smithclan
I had seen that in the tutorial, but the footnote:-
NOTE: This method also prevents programs that use the Messenger Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) from using Windows Messenger. Outlook 2002, Outlook Express 6, and the Remote Assistance feature in Windows XP are examples of programs that use these APIs and that depend on Windows Messenger.
...put me off.
I don't presently have a problem, but I know where to go if I change my mind.

Thanks to all.
Allan