cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messenger Problems

N/A

Messenger Problems

I've recently got plusnet adsl for my flat after using it while I lived with my parents and am experiencing problems with MSN Messenger and possibly other messaging programs, though I haven't checked any others yet.

Msn Messenger disconnects repeatedly if there's no traffic for a while, it also loses a lot of incoming messages. I highly doubt it's anything to do with MSN itself as it was working fine on the backup connection at my parent's house.

I'm fairly new to setting routers so if there's some port I have to allocate or something, I'd be greatful if some one helped out

Cheers,
Alex
22 REPLIES
N/A

Messenger Problems

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20570

I think Plusnet need to look into this as I have this problem also.....
N/A

Messenger Problems

I think it's probably a setup issue, i.e your router rather than anything related to PN. I use MSN and it hardly ever disconnects etc. I think I've had about two disconnects in the last 3 months.

Does your router have UPnP?

The problem is caused by traffic being blocked by your firewall within the router, and to resolve it you normally need to forward the required ports. Msn is a bit messy as it uses a large range of ports. UPnP makes things easier since it allows MSN to open the ports it needs.

What model router you using?

Aaron
N/A

Messenger Problems

Do you think i should try disabling the basic firewall on my Binatone ADSL 2100 router as I have a Zonealarm one also...
Community Veteran

Messenger Problems

You should not need to. It's better allround security if you run both because the hardare firewall will not block any outhoing connection attempts whereas the software firewall will.

You may want to disable both hardware and software firewall to see if that helps MSN messenger.
N/A

Messenger Problems

Is it a good idea to disable my firewalls?
Community Veteran

Messenger Problems

To prove if they are to blame only as part of your investigation. I'm not saying leave them off all the time. You have a problem with messanger and you need to find out what is causing the problem. You therefore disable things to see if it works or not and if it does, you know that part needs to be looked at further to discover why it is stopping messenger working. The normal process or elimination.

Does your router support UPNP, if so make sure it is enabled.
N/A

Messenger Problems

I have the option of writing inbound and outbound policies for my routers firewall. Could I write one of these for MSN?
N/A

Messenger Problems

You shouldn't need to write any outbound rules, since normally the default rule is to allow all. Add outbound rules get complicated, esp if you use P2P software etc.

You either need to enable UPnP or your going to need to add some inbound rules for Messenger.
N/A

Messenger Problems

It's nothing to do with the installation, that's for certain, I've now tryed Gaim out and it acts the same.

It's not so much the disconnecting that's the problem, as there's usually enough traffic to keep it connected, but it's the loss of messages which is the real problem.

My router is an Origo ASR-8400 and I'm fairly sure it doesn't have UPnP, I couldn't find anything about it in the router's admin panel.

I'll try creating an inbound pollicy, to see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply, guys Smiley
N/A

Messenger Problems

Its your inbuilt firewall causing problems with msn messenger. Its a known problem with origos

See here http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1307&PN=1

I had the same problems but then updated my firmware to use another routers firmware which included upnp
N/A

Messenger Problems

I had the same problems but then updated my firmware to use another routers firmware which included upnp

This might be worth a try, UPnP is really the best solution in this case. I've been looking for all the ports needed for Msn and there are quite a few.

I can get all the ports for you if you really want, since I have my firewall totaly tied down, on both inbound and outbound rules. However it opens so many ports across a wide range, where as using UPnP will only open the ports needed.

Aaron
N/A

Messenger Problems

Thank you very much. I'll look into upgrading the firmware.

Thanks again guys, you're a great help Smiley
N/A

Messenger Problems

So how would I go about enabling UPnP? I couldn't find an option when I went into the router setup thing on the internet...
Community Veteran

Messenger Problems

It depends on your router. Not all of the earlier ones had it and I'm not certain that it's become a standard feature on all of them now.