cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Spamkiller - almost killed me!

N/A

Hi, can anyone out there advise me - I have McAfee spam killer V5 and it continually freezes on trying to rescue messages. I have to go into services.msc to stop and restart the programme, otherwise cannot donwload my emails via Outlook (9 times out of 10, this also conks out and I have to reboot). I have spent untold hours on the 'online (lack of) support' with McAfee agents (where are these guys trained?), all of whom tell me to do a manual uninstall and then reinstall (despite that I give them the last session number to avoid going through everything again - but they just dont seem to have any continuity or ideas for solutions, and pick a suggestion out of the air).

I have tried all sorts of little things like checking the authenticating incoming mail box, opening full internet access to spamkiller in the virus scan programme (also McAfee V7), but to no avail. I suspect it may be a compatibility problem with XP SP2?

Anyway, I really have no more time or patience to mess around with this and am tempted to ditch it and switch to mailwasher who have just launched their open source for small businesses software http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailwasher/ - anyone got any experience of them?

Many thanks for anyone who can save my life! :shock: (or at least my sanity)
10 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Ditching Mcafee sounds a very good idea.
Nothing Mcafee has ever worked for me - though I know some people swear by it - but I learnt that if it starts giving problems, then throw it away and try something else.
The people on the Mcafee online help where you type in messages and get random advice were worse than useless in that they gave false hope of fixing the problems and delayed my ditching the product by several days.

Haven't tried mailwasher though.
holdtight
Grafter

ill second that !
tried a few things mcafee and ditched the lot nothing but trouble

i do use mailwasher and swear by it, ok you still have to manually go through your mail but at least you can reject what you dont want and download what you do but thats the windows version
i havnt used the server version so cant comment on it but its more than likely very similar in the way that it works so a good bit of software
N/A

Strange, I've used Mcafee products in the past and had no complaints. I used to use their firewall and a previous version of Spam Killer .

The only difference in the Spam Killer I used, was it wasn't intergrated into Outlook. I only changed as they stopped providing updates for it.

I now use SpamFighter, which is free and connects to a global comunity, so if 3 or more block a message then it's blocked for all. It's intergrated into outlook, and catches about 99% of the spam I get, and rarely gets any wrong.

Aaron
holdtight
Grafter

Horses for courses and differing systems i suppose, i found the firewall
to be oversensitive flaky and bloated but hey just my own dealings with it
and im sure it works fine for some

ive heard spamfighter mentioned several times seems to be quite a few people use it, never tried it is it as good as that straight from installation or does it take some time to train it ?

i dont suffer with too much spam......spit..... so i find mailwasher suits my needs do you think spamfighter would be of any benefit for me or just when it does start piling up ?
N/A

You don't need to train spamfighter, in the sense that it builds are database of features etc to recognise spam.

It works by connecting everyone who uses it, to a central database (although I'm not sure whether this database of features is then copied to your machine and incrementally updated or what) . When someone finds some spam that hasn't been previously recorded, they click the block button. When 3 or more users do this, the database is updated with the details and thus everyone who uses spamfighter is then protected from this spam item.

If an addition, you can set the filter to different levels, and create whitelists and blacklists, in addition to main spam filter.

It's very easy to use, and just adds a simple tool bar to the top, and extra options when you right click on a item of mail.

If something is blocked that you don't want to be blocked, you just simply click unblock and it's moved back to it's original folder. In addition the database is updated to avoid this address being put into the spam folder in the future.

Finally (enough sales lol) it has the option to clear down the whole spam folder in one easy button. This avoids having to open any spam, which can on some e-mail clients load the gifs/jpgs within, which is how many spammers know whether the e-mail address actually exists or not.

Aaron
holdtight
Grafter

Thanks Aaron !
i like the idea of it using a central database that it can refer to and the way it operates
think ill have a closer look and if it does catch 99% of spam that comes through it you cant complain about that

cheers !
N/A

spam killer

Blimey, talk about not talking about the McAfee problem! I take it then that you boys aren't too impressed. I am loathed to ditch hard earned products, but hey, it wasn't that expensive and my time is.

So out goes McAfee and in comes..... have you got a link for Spam Fighter? I like the sound of the common solutions approach via the database.

Thanks, Isaac
N/A

Here's the link for Spamfighter

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

Thanks Aaron, have downloaded no problem and spam fighter seems a whole lot more straight forward than spamkiller - phew!

Thanks again, Isaac
N/A

No worries :-) , just glad I could help.

Cheers,

Aaron