cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail server software

lingbob
Grafter

Mail server software

I'm considering setting up my own mail server and would appreciate some suggestions regarding choice of software to run under Windows XP Pro. I've already looked at Mercury but it seems somewhat complicated. I need something that's simple to set up and preferably free.

Martin
23 REPLIES
N/A

Mail server software

For less than 5 users there is a FREE mailserver here

http://www.software602.com/download/
lingbob
Grafter

Mail server software

Thanks for that but I've managed to get my head around Mercury now Cheesy

Martin
N/A

Mail server software

Microsoft Exchange 4TW! personally I have an SBS2003 server running my internal network. It doesn't get any better than that.
N/A

Mail server software

Microsoft Exchange 4TW! personally I have an SBS2003 server running my internal network. It doesn't get any better than that.

That's a bold statement. Are you aware that other operating systems are available?
N/A

Mail server software

That's a bold statement. Are you aware that other operating systems are available?

Of course,, but as i'm a trained M$ engineer and know the platforms well on a productivity and development level, i'd recommend Small Business Server 2003 for a home network as well as a business network. There are so many features rolled into it and if you have 5 clients or less the couple hundred quid it costs is a bargain. Its also great to train on so any would-be engineers/developers out there want something to practice with you can't go wrong. The webmail feature of Exchange with its outlook interface is worth it on its on. You can all slam Outlook (Outlook2003 is included free as is Frontpage2003 if you buy the premium edition) as a mail client but feature wise its better than most. Then there's the offline features if your using a laptop. Syncing of your My Documents folder is automatic as is Outlook's offline feature, it only connects to the exchange server to sync your mail folders otherwise it 'suspends' its connection to reduce network bandwidth use. In a nutshell, there's too many extras you get to post all its good points in a forum. Just visit Microsoft's small business site to find out more and if you live in the west of scotland near glasgow i'll come install and configure it. For a fee of course Cheesy
Community Veteran

Mail server software

Please be strong, all my fellow Penguin friends, and let us remove our Red Fedora’s and pray together for this poor man’s soul.

For one day he will see the light, and the Penguin will come upon him.

Let him pass through the Gates of Redmond to his salvation. And not live in servitude to the unholy great one, that some call William of Gates.

Pope Chilly the first.
N/A

Mail server software

And how many non-geeks would use Linux, defo Geek city that one, yeah its free but not as straightforward or as simple as windows no?
N/A

Mail server software

Just wondering how many features and settings exchange has over any linux mail server...oh.. thats right, lots! Exchange is the best mail server et al there is, it dose so much and if you disagree just cos it has an MS stamp on it, then you are a moron.
N/A

Mail server software

Bring on the flame war for having a differing opinion
N/A

Mail server software

indeed! Smiley - but then again, 99% of the worlds biz's cant be wrong :p
Community Veteran

Mail server software

Gentleman please, I did not intend to start a flame war, it was intended as light hearted humour.

And to put my post in context, it was posted from a Windows XP machine.

Chilly
N/A

Mail server software

i wasnt flaming Smiley and im sorry if you thought I was lol.. just messin about Cheesy
N/A

Mail server software

rm -fr *buzzons
N/A

RE:Mail Server

I have to agree with mantrata Exchange does do the business, i run a similar setup to you mantrata SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 and it works well i actually use it for 6 different internet domains and use a unified log-in address, from that point of view it owns plus the fact i can log-in to Outlook Mobile Access using my PDA.