cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail on 2nd PC

N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

I am having a nightmare with this...

I have got a number of email accounts set up on this machine - all of them work fine. This machine is connected to my old one using a crossover cable. Both PCs can see each other and I can share files, browse the internet on both, etc.

However, I have set up an email address for my girlfriend on the other PC and it can receive but simply will not send mail. The mail account is Huh?@smartvibes.com which is the name of my company. I have got the incoming (POP3) server configured correctly but obviously the outgoing (SMTP) server is wrong. I have it set to "relay.plus.net", which works just fine for all my accounts on this machine.

Is this a common problem when sharing an internet connection? I am at my wit's end...
9 REPLIES
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

Hi there,

Your smtp settings are correct.

How recently did you create the mailbox for your girlfriend? If it was today, it can take a few hours for the mailbox to become fully active.

What error message is your mail client returning.

What Anti Virus software or firewall is running?

If your shared connection is operating in every other way, it is unlikely to be down to that.

I am also assuming that you are using username+mailbox name to log in?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but there are a number of possibilities here.
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

Thanks for the swift reply.

The error message is...

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'xxxx@smartvibes.com', Server: 'mail.smartvibes.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

I set the mailbox up months ago. I have uninstalled all AV and firewall software from the second PC. This PC is running Trend PC-Cillin Internet Security.

I am not using username+mailbox to log-in as that convention does not apply to my business hosting account with WebFusion. The username is in the pop.xxx-1 format.

I am going mad with this. Thanks for replying so promptly though!
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

Interestingly enough, I just set up the xxxx@smartvibes.com account on this PC, using exactly the same settings as on the other one and it worked perfectly.

I am perplexed.

And annoyed.

:x
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

Hi,

Have a look at This article which deals with a similar isue.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

Thanks for that. However, all the solutions refer to a string of commands in Microsoft Exchange Server which I am not running. I will read on...
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

The error is saying

Server: 'mail.smartvibes.com',

So somwere you are trying to connect to smartvibes.com if you are trying to send via smtp Plus net wont let it go out or the .com wont accept it from a ip thats not theirs.

Check ll your setting and find the Server: 'mail.smartvibes.com', and change it
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

I definitely think it has something to do with PlusNet and the fact that the ip on the second machine is a problem. Took me ages to set up the shared internet connection (no, the ICS wizard did not work).

I think I will give up on this (for now).

Thanks for your help.
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

You dont say if your on a router or ICS either way to Plus net your pcs will all have only one ip and it will be the one Plus net have given you.

Its very clear from the message Server: 'mail.smartvibes.com', that somewere you have 'mail.smartvibes.com', as the mail server the error is very specific so believe what its telling you
N/A

Mail on 2nd PC

The machines are connected directly using a crossover cable. Maybe I will get hold of a cheap 4-port hub and network them properly.