cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail forwarding for domains?

N/A

Hi - I'm probably going to make this sound more complicated than it really is. I've just switched to a Plusnet premier account, partly due to the free webhosting with MySQL and PHP. I've currently got two domains registered with 123-reg. I currently use 123-reg's email forwarding so that various members of my family (spread around various ISPs) can all have different addresses with a common domain name. What happens when I ask the Plusnet nameservers to take over? Does all email going to the domains come to my default Plusnet email address or will mail to e.g. joe@prabhu.co.uk be sent to joe@prabhu.plus.com. Can I jerry-rig a system so that an email to joe@prabhu.co.uk will be sent to joe@bloggs.freeserve.co.uk without my intervention. It would be useful if this would work with two registered domains. Looking around the site, it appears redirects might be useful for this, but I'd like to know if anyone is currently doing anything similar. Thanks.

Vikram
2 REPLIES
N/A

i'd like to know the answer to this too!
N/A

OK. I've transferred in one of my domains for DNS-only hosting. It appears that anything sent to joe@prabhu.co.uk will be forwarded to joe@prabhu.plus.com automatically. You can then use redirects to ensure the mail gets to the right place. This has been working well for me the last couple of weeks; although so far I haven't tried redirecting anything to an account not hosted here. So far I haven't transferred in my other domain but I've read a few posts that indicate that anything sent to joe@anotherdomain.co.uk would also be forwarded to joe@prabhu.plus.com. This obviously means that mail sent to two separate accounts would end up in one mailbox. I don't believe it's possible to get round this easily at the moment. If you run something like fetchmail and pick up all the mail (without using redirects) you should be able to redirect the mail from your own computer. This would obviously be a less reliable method and rely on you fetching sorting the mail frequently. This is not ideal when you're away for any length of time and other people are relying on the service. The other option would be to have a dedicated server hosted somewhere, but then why bother with using PlusNet hosting at all? Hope this is helpful.