cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX Record in DNS Config... have I done it corectly?

N/A

I have setup Small Business Server 2003 (Windows Server) with Exchange on it. I was then told by the friendly people on this website that in order to get it working with my domain name I would have to forward the server name (maggi) to my servers IP address. That has been done. I was also told that in order to send and receive mails from that server... the MX records have to be changed. I did that through the Domain Config tools in PlusNet...

However, I still am not getting any mails... I was wondering if I did this correctly... Does this look right?

- Left - ....... -Type- ........ -Pri- ............. -Right- ............
... - ............... MX .............. 1................ 81.174.239.XX
maggi .......... A ................ - ................ 81.174.239.XX

The second entry which directs all maggi.[mydomain].co.uk requests to my server. Is it correct for me to specify an ip address for the MX record or should that say "maggi"...

Even though I have replaced the numbers in the IP address for "XX's" I assure you that they are correctly specified... {the server direct access works} its the mail record that is not working...

Whats going on... help?

Thanx guys/gals Smiley

Bob
2 REPLIES
N/A

You should use a single hostname in the place of the IP in the MX record.

So yes, they are wrong and you should have:

- Left - ....... -Type- ........ -Pri- ............. -Right- ............
... - ............... MX .............. 1................ maggi
maggi .......... A ................ - ................ 81.174.239.XX

Make sure you have set the domain to manual control
N/A

I have changed the MX records as you have outlined... I think it takes a while for things to be updated... so best bet is to wait till tommorow to test it further...

Thanks for the help

Bob