cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN messenger problems...

N/A

After switching to ADSL with plusnet MSN messenger logs me out every so often. I am still connected to ADSL and if I try to log in again it does so normally... It is getting slightly annoying so I was wondering if you could help
14 REPLIES
N/A

that would be msn its self.. not ur end. It does it every now and again. and yes its hella crap but hey thats just the way it is, sorry dude. Mine disconects about once every 3 days
N/A

Or it could be your router if you have one. The origos with the firewall firmwares would disconnect you from msn quite alot unless the firewall is turned off.
N/A

Don't turn your firewalls off.

MSN should work in it's basic form (i.e. without web cams and voice) etc without changing any rules on your firewall. Have you tried UPnP? I can explain this in more detail for those who have routers which can handle this.

If you router doesn't handle UPnP, you could always add the required rules to your router firewall for the extra services.

But don't disable your firewall, unless you want viruses, trojans, spyware or to turn your machine into a spam churning zombie :lol:
N/A

*lifts arms*

"arrrrrggggg"
N/A

You ok Buz Wink
N/A

I didnt say turn it off. The origo routers have a fault with the firewall which causes msn to disconnect even with port forwarding.

I just provided a possible reason why msn is disconnecting and what is causing it.
N/A

You didn't say it, but you did say
The origos with the firewall firmwares would disconnect you from msn quite alot unless the firewall is turned off.
which isn't far off saying trying turning your firewall off and try it.

What fault does this router have?
N/A

its not a cisco one Wink
N/A

The fault is that the spi firewall is a little buggy and can causes problems with msn, irc and others
N/A

Is there not a firmware upgrade that can fix this?
N/A

One was released but that too had problems with the firewall turned on.

Now I am using another firmware designed for a different router with my orgio 8000. It has more features and I havent had a single problem.

For more info see this link http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=5
N/A

I'm using the Binatone ADSL 2100 router with Firmware version 38.19.9 , I am still getting disconnected from MSN quite often but it seems to have a lack of consistency (sometimes it is 3 times In 10 mins sometimes It is once every 5 hours).
N/A

It's quite disappointing that a company can release a router with a dodgy SPI firewall. These days have a reliable firewall is essential.

I have a netgear DG834 router, so I surpose I'm fortunate that I don't have any really problems with the firewall. However I used UPnP with MSN to open the correct ports.

Msn messenger is quite poor in the fact is difficult to get a handle on the ports it requires.
N/A

My MSN seems to be acting up more often now and it is really getting on my nerves. I was wondering if anyone could take another look into it?

Sometimes i miss whole chunks of conversation that people send in reply to me... (I just don't recieve it)