cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger audio conversations

Community Veteran

Although I quite regurlarly use MSN for audio conversations with friend, we often find we get one way transmission when setting up the connection?
It can can be one way in either direction and after a number of re-tries we get a solid bothway connection.

Has anyone else come across this and more importantly have you found a cure.?
5 REPLIES
N/A

You could try Skype

Skype offers free PC to PC phone calls at very high quality, and requires no messing around with port forwarding on your router.

You can also use it to call UK landlines, costs 0.71pence per minute, which isn't too bad.

Give it a try, if you haven't already Smiley
Community Veteran

Does it also allow you to use webcams as well?
N/A

Nope it's only Audio based upon p2p.

I guess the problem is related to UPnP, it seems to depend upon who requests the conversation for me, I ended up setting a PC up as a DMZ and that solved the problem. You can of course open up all the ports for MSN and that should solve the problem.

Cheers
Zen
Community Veteran

Thanks for that. I want to avoid the DMZ setup if i can but it may be worth trying just for experiment.
It's most odd and as I said once we have a two way setup established then it's solid for ages.
The webcams always work first time and we have resorted to setting up web cam contact first so that we can signal each other to indicate who is receiving audio or not. :x

Oh well these things are sent to make life interesting I suppose :lol:
N/A

Skype 'just works' for voice. Sorry, no video support though Sad

Skype will work both ways without forwarding any ports etc. You will need to forward ports if you wish to transfer files, as the the files go through relays otherwise, which slows them badly