cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Web Servers

N/A

Local Web Servers

A couple of queries, from a newbie in this topic.

I installed Apache OK, except it seems to install in root, and I need to enter root to start it, also I seem to need to install my 'scripts' in its htdocs folder, again in root. Do this need to be, or, more likely, what have I done wrong?

Secondly, to avoid the above difficulties, I installed Abyss, but in no way can I set it up to recognise any PHP scripts. Can anyone help, please?

Allan
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Local Web Servers

I recommend you take a look at;
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

You can also start it during start up.

Please post details of your operating system / setup, as its helpfull when responding to questions like yours.

Chilly
N/A

Local Web Servers

Thanks Chilly....

I'll make a note of that for the future.

Finally, in the wee small hours, I sorted out Abyss and PHP. I'd intentionally installed them in home, but using 'which php', I'd picked up the address of the original php in usr., and I'd not been able to find the other executable in home. Eventually, I found it, but only the cli version. So, I reinstalled php in home, sorted out permissions for the bits it still wanted to put in root, and that was it.

So, many thanks anyway

Allan