cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux newbie-SMTP problem

N/A

On trying to use KMail (1.6.2) on Suse, I can get my read messages but send fails, leaving messages in the Out box, with no helpful error message.
I've now installed Thunderbird, and something similar is occurring, except it says the server is refusing to accept smtp.

Can anyone help, please?
Thanks
Allan
17 REPLIES
N/A

It works fine here (SuSE 9.1, KMail 1.6.2). There's nothing fancy in the SMTP setup, just relay.plus.com and port 25.
Maybe you have a firewall problem?

Eric
N/A

Just as an afterthought, you haven't configured it to use authentication, have you? If so, unconfigure it Smiley

Eric
N/A

Hi Eric

Thanks for swift reply. Right, I've just retried with both Kmail and Thunderbird, with my router firewall disabled.

For Kmail, nothing showed in the system log, whereas there was an outgoing entry for Thunderbird, but again the ISP refused.

No, I don't have authentication enabled - no hostname, no encryption, Port 25, relay.plus.net. Identities has email address, return address, no pgp key and no password (can't see where it would go).

Allan
N/A

Hi Eric

Just an afterthought. On using Thunderbird and attempting to send (again) I'm asked for my password. It won't accept my usual password and when I just leave it blank, that's when I get the reject.

I'm not aware of any need for a separate smtp password.

Ahhhhhh. The penny dropped. Back to settings, the default in T..bird is use name and password. Cleared that and I'm in business.

But not Kmail!

Allan
N/A

Hmm... I'm out of ideas at the moment, I'm afraid. You're not trying to send mail via PlusNet when using a different ISP, are you? (Sorry if that's granny egg-sucking).

Eric
N/A

HI Eric

No, keeping it simple for now, just via plusnet. I've tried numerous combinations of settings, to no avail.

A friend has tried for me on his PC and he gets the same result as I do. Perhaps it's elsewhere, ie. outside of KMail? Thunderbird is OK, though.

I noticed on your earlier post you gave the server as relay.plus.com, whereas I've always used .net on Windows?

Allan
Community Veteran

It is relay.plus.net.
N/A

Problem solved!

I was happy I'd removed from KMail any authorisation detail.

Eventually looked in YAST, Network Services, and found more SMTP authorisation! Where I'd entered the server address, I noticed it said it was *generally* used for dial-up, removed that and my email address and password. Tried again - still failed. Looked again and found server address had reappeared! Cleared it again and wondered where it had picked it up from. Started again and cleared it also from the first screen, where again it said *generally* used for dial-up.

KMail now OK, and Thunderbird still is, too.

Thanks to Eric and Peter for your help.

Allan
N/A

I'm glad you got it sorted. Sorry about the relay.plus.net mistake.

Eric
N/A

Urgh. Still wont work for me for some reason. Any more ideas on how to fix this?
N/A

Are you having the identical problem I had? Sent mail sticking in the outbox? Being a newbie myself, I wouldn't dare offer assistance on anything else!

Allan
channel
Grafter

sorry to be dumb, but where in Yast was the authorisation you mentioned? For what it's worth I can't even get incoming mail (set to port 110, which I think is right?)
N/A

Hi Channel

Look under Network Services, then MTA. However, I've subsequently reinstalled Linux several times (yes, I know) and haven't hit that initial problem, and all settings under MTA are empty. So, obviously I originally entered something somewhere that I shouldn't.

To get mail, all that's needed is your login (without @pnet etc), your password and host mail.plus.net and port 110, no encryption and clear text. Oh, and your email address in Identities.

Let's know how you get on.

Allan
N/A

Are you having the identical problem I had? Sent mail sticking in the outbox? Being a newbie myself, I wouldn't dare offer assistance on anything else!

Allan

Yep. Got the same problem still.

Can recieve fine, but not send which is fustrationg.