cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux for internet

N/A

Linux for internet

I got a free copy of Knoppix Linux 3.4 with a magazine and I thought I might set my system for a dual boot so that I could use Linux for browsing and e-mail, and use Windows for other applications. From what I can make of the documentation, the version of Lixux I have does not support USB ADSL modems which is what I have.
Can anyone suggest a version of Linux that would be suitable for my requirements and is reasonably simple to install?
Or can I use the Knoppix version I have and download some sort of add-on that would allow me to set up my USB modem?
6 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

Linux for internet

USB modems require software drivers to function and the vast majority only support Windows. The USB ADSL modems that have Linux drivers are often unreliable at best, so I would recommend purchasing a wired or wireless-capable ethernet ADSL router.

This would mean that you could just connect the router to the ethernet network card in your computer and there would be no requirement of software drivers.

Try BroadbandBuyer, DSLSource, Amazon and EBuyer for ADSL routers. Watch out that you get an ADSL router modem and not a 'Broadband Router' (these have no built-in modem and so are practically useless to most people).

matt Wink
N/A

Linux for internet

Hmmm It looks like this would be a rather costly option. I had my computer made to order and it doesn't have an ethernet card as I never expected to need a network connection. I'd have to buy that plus a router.
lowry
Grafter

Linux for internet

An ethernet network card would cost less than a tenner from most online retailers. Plus, you could get a cheap wired 1 port router for less than £35 from the sites I have mentioned.

matt Wink
N/A

Linux for internet

I think they will work in the latest 2.6 kernal, as the USB support is getting a lot better, however, an ethernet router is a far better choice as it reduces the load the CPU has to do, thus makes your PC faster, as well as more secure as they nearly all have an added firewall option
N/A

Linux for internet

An ethernet network card would cost less than a tenner from most online retailers. Plus, you could get a cheap wired 1 port router for less than £35 from the sites I have mentioned.

matt Wink

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5493163707&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3... 4 port for under £25
N/A

Linux for internet

Thanks for the suggestions, folks - I'll look into it further.