cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

I got a free copy of this with a XP Focus Guide I bought this morning and I have just set it up and found 59 strange cookies. I have been meaning to get some spyware for a bit. Does anybody know anything about this Swedish software. They supply updates for cookiehunting and chat forums. I wonder what their competitors are like and will I have to pay eventually? Thanks.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

I'm sure if you did a search on these forums you will find plenty of entries. I have made several recommendations for this software.
Also handy is to get spybot which finds thing that ad-aware doesnt.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Pest Patrol is another one and spyblaster.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Many thanks. I took Peter Vaughan's advice and downloaded Spybot to run in tandem with Adaware.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

I recommend you download spyblaster as well, it sits in the background and blocks troublesome active x etc controls.

You'll also find it links in with spybot, to provide even greater protection Cheesy
Community Veteran

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

That's spywareblaster in case you wanted to search for it. The companion app to that is spywareguard.

Links to most of the well known spyware, antivirus and firewall apps can be found in the General: Essential Security software tutorial.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Now I find that Spybot and Adaware interact cos Adaware looks at Skybots' insides. I will have to think out my strategy.
Community Veteran

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Now I find that Spybot and Adaware interact cos Adaware looks at Skybots' insides. I will have to think out my strategy.

Simple you configure Adaware to not look in Spybots save directories, by setting up a custom scan.

In Adaware, click start -> select custom scan then click customise. Click on 'select drives and folders' then tick your your main drive. Then expand it to find Documents and settings. Then for 'All users' and any named users, find Application Data and untick Spybot search and destroy.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Hi
Forgive me if I sound a bit thick, but do you all run AV software/Firewall software on top of all the other goodies :?: If so are they set to scan auto, or do you just scan "when you feel like it" sounds like you spend more time looking for problems.

Like I said sorry if I sound a bit thick on this subject, would be interested in replies Tongue
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Thanks very much Peter. Willdo.

I also run Norton AV and Firewall, And XP Firewall.
Seems I am a bit neurotic about getting done but I am terrified of having to edit registers.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

And I forgot to add that I took out the PlusNet AV/Antispam package. It is once in a blue moon that my Norton AV gets activated and the SPAM package from PlusNet is getting better and better as it learns.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

WOW :!: Thats not answered my question are they set to auto scan
Community Veteran

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

No I for one run a manual scan with spybot and Adaware about every month or so.
You will find that the minute you start surfing you pick up cookies so I find it best to leave it for a few weeks to a month and let them have a good root.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

Once a week I do a Norton virus scan of my hard disk and it is manual, not automatic. But if I am logged in that evening it tries to do an auto, which I cancel.

And for Peter how do you handle the ALEXA Register Key? It seems to be used by IE but Adaware would like to do things to it. I dont think this would be a good idea. Any advice? I suppose I could learn how to retrieve it from quarantine.
N/A

Lavasoft Ad-aware 6

My Norton AV automatically starts a scan at 8 every Friday night when I am logged in. I have just been trying to find an option to change the time but couldnt, so it is probably hardwired in because their weekly Liveupdate of virus definitions comes out usually on a Wednesday.