cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last modified date on webpages

RobDickson
Grafter

There are plenty of scripts about that display the last modified date. The problem that I have, is that when I upload pages to the server, the last modified date is the date that they were uploaded, not the actual last modified date. As I've just moved servers, the scripts will think that every page was modified on 5th September.

Does anybody know of an HTML tag that I can include in a webpage that will effectively change the last modified date?

I have tried searching using Google, but haven't had any luck.
3 REPLIES
N/A

I dont know of any script to set the date as there would be no point to it. Two thing you could do change the actual file date on the server is one. Most ftp's let you do that.
The second thing is to change you script depending on the script tell it to print the date -10 days or what ever you like
RobDickson
Grafter

You know I'd never thought about the obvious solution - changing the date on the file once it's been uploaded. I'll give it a go.

I do disagree with your comment "there would be no point to it". The reason that I want the date changed is so that FreeFind's "what's new" feature (I took your advice, and am using FreeFind) doesn't list the whole site that I uploaded on 5th September as being modified on the same date. I can put a FreeFind tag into the HTML code, but I just wondered whether there was a standard HTML tag that would have the same effect for the whole web.

Thanks for your advice.
RobDickson
Grafter

I've tried changing the last modified date on the server using SmartFTP and it doesn't allow it using CHMOD. I'll have a word with our web hosts to see what I can do.