cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep hearing about 8Mb speeds and exchanges being upgraded,

N/A

Keep hearing about 8Mb speeds and exchanges being upgraded. However, I am a long way from my exchange and can only get 1Mb conection now instead of the 2Mb I joined plusnet for. Therefore, will I ever be able to get some of these higher speeds everyone is talking aboutHuh?? Sad
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Actually not true. Under the current ADSL connections, BT set limits to what speeds they will allow your line to sync at with the exchange but these limits are removed with MaxDSL, so the exchange will try to sync at the highest speed your line will support. Even if your line attenuation does not allow 2Mbs under the current limits, it may be possible under MaxDSL if your SNR figure is high enough and you may even go higher.

If your ADSL equipment shows line attenuation and SNR, put the figures into here to get an idea of what speeds may be possible on your line, It may surprise you. Also remember home based ADSL routers don't show accurate line stats so your line may be better than you think.
N/A

Ok have done the test results: A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 3486kbps (kilo bits per second).

So why am I being told that I can't get 2MbHuh At the moment?
Community Veteran

Post your line stats and I can tell probably tell you.

The current limits are based on line attenuation ONLY, MaxDSL limits are primarily based on SNR figure.

If your current line atten is above 43dB, BT will only allow a 1Mbs connection under the current system.
N/A

Well I am lucky to get 2mb then :? I am smack bang on the border line lol

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272
US Margin 29
DS Margin 16
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 43
US Line Attenuation 58
Path Mode Fast Path

the DS Margin seems to jump between 11 and 19 at max. So althought im 1.38KM from my exchange straight line distance, I seem to have poor stats to show for this ( well in my eyes anyhow ).

Regards,
N/A

MaxDSL is to be completed by 31/3/2006 I know this can change however, what do I or PlusNet need to do for me to get the fastest speed on my line, after the exchange as been updated?
Community Veteran

You do nothing. PlusNet will be putting is a request for all their subscribers to be upgraded to MaxDSL on 1st April. It will however take BT many months to get around to completing this work as it did for the free speed upgrades which are still being done now, some 8 months after they started..
N/A

possible line speed

My line att is 25db
my snr is 12.5db

anyone know what I could get using this info
N/A

Confusion - cos i'm blonde?

Peter, your information has been extreemly helpful been sota asking quesitons i have been asking for the last 8 months LOL.

Right august 2004 signed up on 1mb broadband unlimited as it was back then
May 2005 moved house and was told that the new package Broadband POreier was the equivalent and that i would pay and get whatever my line could handle upto the speed of 2mb
I am right on the edge of 5km of line wire from the exchange (6 months prior, bt wouldn;t even give next door a connection) so i am on 512k
When i signed up for this package the words "MAXdsl" were chucked around alot, they were syaing "you'll be on a MaxDSL conenction which means you'll get the maximum your line can handle upto 2mb, or 4mb or 8mb depending on package you have"

SO naturally i have been thinking since they said the exchanges were beign upgraded again for 8mb speeds that well will that mean that i will still stay on 512k or does it mean ditances will extend again allowing me to be on 1 or 2mb

i.e.

now X------2--------1--------512
then X------8--------4---------2----------1-------512 (a)
or X--8--4-2------1---------512 (b)

if you get what i mean, will happen
i.e. would the distances stretch out or would the 8 and 4 mb sppeds be crammed into shorter distances than the 2mb speeds.

Now working for a company that resells broadband through Enta (sorry to swear guys) i have been told really technology is so right anywhere can get 512k, just sometimes the enginner will need to visit to fine tune, which makes sense with what ypour saying about SNR

Now my modem doens;t give me reports about the SNR etc, so as a general rule of thumb, is it likely that when the exchange goes to 8mb on the forecasted 31/3/06 I will be able to get higher than 512k because (a) has happened

also with you saying about getting peopel switched over to MAXDSL does that mean I am not actually on MaxDSL yet, thus meaning that when things are turned onm on 31/3/2006 (god prevailing) that i will still have to wait to even see an increase from 512k to perhaps 1mb?

sorry to ask a dozen questions, but just would like to be prepared

Thanks

Tristan
madswitcher
Grafter

For comparison purposes

I am using UKOnline for an LLU line. It uses the same path as my other (Plusnet) line.

UKOnline stats - 41dB loss, S/N 8.5dB, speed 5M down, 0.8M up
Plusnet stats - 41dB loss, S/N 20 dB, sped 2.2M down, 0.256 up

Other stuff - UKOnline, no caps, no shaping, customer support excellent - I have just had a conceversation to change some of my line paramenters. 1st line support picked the phone up immediately, had a good chat, passed me to second line support who went straight into the DSLAM and tweaked the config for me.
I was actualy changing the speed down as the S/N changes over the day causing a few errors in the evening so I wanted it capped from 5.5M down to 5M. While he was there he tweaked the upload from 0.5M to 0.8. Very competant and immediate.

It is always like this folks. The grass is greener. Cheesy

Yes this is an unashamed plug. This type of response is good service and what PN used to be.

I hope that someone is listening and taking note.

Mike
Community Veteran

@tlmartin,

You are not currently on MaxDSL. This will only happen once BT release it (April 1st), PN have placed a MaxDSL order for your line and BT finally get around to doing the work within the next 6 months or more.

Your line condition is primarily affected by your line lenth - i.e. the longer the line, the more loss that occurs and thus the lower the signal quality and thus the harder it is to get a good signal through which affects the speed you can get.. This is explained in detail here.

As I explained in my first post, BT currently put (what has turned out to be very conservative) limits on speeds based on your line Attenuation which, while affected by your line length, can also be affected by your line quality and what route it takes to the exchange. Being 5KM from the exchange (and your line may be even longer), I suspect you are using the extended reach technology which may mean your line attenuation is >60dB and thus limited to 512Kbs under current BT limits.

As MaxDSL ignores line attenuation (except in very extream cases) and works dynamically on SNR, it tries to achieve the best speed within the limits of your line. So even very long lines such as yours may be able to handle a faster speed than BT have limited it to up to now, but what you will get is unknown without an SNR guide figure.