cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Wondering

N/A

Just Wondering

Hi All

It's been a number of years since I have had one,but are there any security issues to be considered now before getting a fixed IP?

Ian & Linda Jordan
7 REPLIES
N/A

Just Wondering

yes

It does mean that your cp is live on the net with the same ip all the time so any attacker knows were to find you etc. If you are using adsl getting a router is the safest bet as it masks your real ip.
N/A

Just Wondering

It does mean that your cp is live on the net with the same ip all the time so any attacker knows were to find you etc. If you are using adsl getting a router is the safest bet as it masks your real ip

Thanks for the feedback.however I will need to give it some thought,because it seems that if I wish to connect from multiple CLI's then a static IP is required if I read the page correctly.By the way I spent a fascinating few minutes trying out the security checks on your website.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Just Wondering

I don't see where you got the information from, stating you need a static IP for multiple CLIs.

A static IP, means you get the same IP each an every time your connect, no matter whyere from.

Dynamic IPs means a different IP each and every time.

Nothing more or less.
Community Veteran

Just Wondering

You do need a static IP for using mutiple CLIs on FRIACO.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both dynamic and static IPs these are numerous and varied. I wouldn't say there is a major security risk in using a static IP.

Chris
N/A

Just Wondering

I don't see where you got the information from, stating you need a static IP for multiple CLIs.

Connection settigs/CLI number...... I quote "If you have a Dynamic IP you will only be able to connect from your Primary CLI. If you have a Static IP you will be able to connect from up to 5 different CLIs, but only one at a time" end quote

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Just Wondering

Ah, a +net thing.

I hadn't needed this with other ISP's
Community Veteran

Just Wondering

It's to stop people multilinking the connection and hogging ports.

Don't forget its a X:1 contention rather than x:x (if you see what I mean).

Chris