Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Loading Problem

N/A

Java Loading Problem

Hi

Thanks for looking at my problem.

I have a problem in previewing my web site (off-line). Some features such as pictures and hover buttons do not appear and a message appears at the foot of page saying "Loading Java applet failed" or "Applet fp hover not initiated".

Viewing on-line is fine the problem is only off-line.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Tony Smith
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Java Loading Problem

You need to have the "off line" bit as a mirror image of you site that is hosted on the net.
In fact what I do is set the site up on my PC first then upload everything "as is" after I know it works and looks right.

If you already have it set like this then I can't see why it wont work properly.
N/A

Java Loading Problem

Thanks John

I was transferring to server by "copying right" from ftp file boxes.

I have tried to transfer using the "publish Web" button on front page but then encountered WinINet error 12111 message.

Next time I had message "could not find web server at Port 80" etc. I have asked host (Fast Hosts) for ideas on what might be going wrong.

Have you any suggestions on why java applets don't load - will it be due to problem with the HTML code. I simply added Java hover facility with Front Page.

Tony
Community Veteran

Java Loading Problem

Sorry but I'm not user of Front Page so I cant give much advise on that program. No doubt there are plenty on these forums that can.

My first thoughts though are that if you are using Frontpage to upload the files are you sending them to the Front Page server as this is not the same one as your normal web space under htdocs and Front page may well protest.
N/A

Java Loading Problem

I am using Front Page to build the web. However, I have to transfer to an ftp server at FastHosts.

To transfer files I use Ace ftp and originally I opted to use the system of moving from left (my PC) to right (their server). I had successfully used this method on another website. All seemed to go well with the new site until I came to view it on line and some items were missing.

Following your advice I then tried to use the Front Page "publish button". It seemed to be transferring then stopped and an error message was received. As you say, this may perhaps be a Front Page / FTP conflict.

When viewing off line do you know how the Java hover is initiated, is it by the HTML

Thanks again for your help.
Community Veteran

Java Loading Problem

I have some Java script on one of the pages I use and it is viewable of line.
In my case its text that follows your mouse pointer around.
I think that to view it you need to have Java activated in the Explorer setup.
N/A

Java Loading Problem

My Java is just link buttons which glow when mouse hovers. It occasionally does load up (but not often) which makes me think that my HTML might be a bit iffy so I'll try downloading some new buttons to see if things change.

Like your train site, it's very impressive!

Thanks for interest.
Community Veteran

Java Loading Problem

If you just want to make things change when the mouse is over an object then you dont need to bother with Java.
You can do it with ONMOUSEOVER in html.

See the site here for how I do it on my buttons for the railway site.

The only thing to be aware of is that each action on the same page must have a different name. If you use the same name twice then that particular "mouseover" will stop working.
N/A

Java Loading Problem

Still have Java problem. Today I published a part web page which included Java Hover buttons from Front Page. When viewing web I got Java failed to load and a friend got same message on his PC. Strange this as my old site is ok on web but not offline.

I think it must be something to do with dodgy HTML from FP. I can only think that something has gone wrong in system as hover used to be OK

That onmouseover feature seems a great way out of the problem, I've had a look at site and railway site. I like the way that your black square appears on menu. These are the type of buttons I'm trying to include so will have a go at using them.

Really do appreciate your help, thanks a lot.