cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a phone socket/ADSL wiring diagram anywhere?

m063
Grafter

My friendly builders, who are doing some renovation on my house, have managed to disconnect the phone socket with my ADSL connection. They assure me they can put it back next week but I'm not convinced they can do it correctly....builders not being known for their renown in wiring ADSL....

They have temporarily reconnected a normal phone socket and I can get a voice signal. Fortunately I managed to rescue the ADSL socket before they managed to throw it away...

This was originally installed as two business lines, one used as voice and one used as data (dial up). Then when my exchange was enabled for ADSL, one line was discontinued and the other converted to ADSL. The ADSL connection was a BT Business Broadband connection with engineer install, so I have no wiring instructions. Subsequently, BT Business Broadband was ceased on the line and I subscribed to Plusnet Broadband Plus.There are no internal extensions, ie. I am connected to the base BT socket.

The builder is repositioning the live socket and removing the inactive socket.

Looking at the incoming wire, there appear to be 7 strands, one each of black, green, orange, white, and three of yellow. He has reconnected black and green to an ordinary voice socket and I get a voice signal, so I'm guessing this wiring is correct.

But looking at the ADSL socket which he has disconnected, I can see the remains of orange and white strands which appear to have been connected previously.

Can anyone advise what needs to be connected to what to re-enable the ADSL socket (ie to replace the normal voice socket). Is there a standard wiring diagram anywhere that would help?

Thanks

Martin
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

if its on the master socket then its illegal to tamper with all wiring leading up to and going into the master socket and also a breach of your BT contract! Only a BT engineer can do this wiring
m063
Grafter

Thanks, I just took another look at the wiring and I think in fact we are legal. What seems to have happened is that they took both the sockets off the wall, leaving the live socket connected to its wires. To do this they had to remove the faceplates, but put back the wrong one on the live socket. I just replaced it with the ADSL faceplate and am now back online...
N/A

Andy,

How many people out of 100 using extensions and wanting a tidy looking house actually know about that rule and pay any attention to it?

Heck ive even been asked to move the master socket a few times as it got in the way of a few things (and to be fair it was a rather inconsiderate place BT decided to put it too ) :lol:
Community Veteran

ok point taken Tom, if thats the case I need a new NTE5 box on my sockets as the other ones are falling off!

However if I do that then any new NTE5 box I put on my master socket won't have the BT "piper" on it as the only people that can get them are the BT Engineers which means if I had an engineer in they would instantly know that I had illegally replaced my master box. TBH its better to be safe than sorry so I think I will stick with what I've got. It doesn't seem to be affecting my internet or phones so far!
N/A

Andy,

Why not do what I do? You dont get if you dont ask. As im walking to town or where ever if I see a BT Engineer I simply stop and ask him for a master socket. I have thus far been granted my request every time I asked Cheesy. I wouldnt call it cheek, just knowing what you want and asking for it :lol:
Community Veteran

I have never ever seen a BT engineer in my area!
N/A

Fair enough, your in a predicament then. although if your master socket, or any sockets BT have fitted are faulty then they should come out and fix these FOC surely?
Community Veteran

we still have the ancient pre 80's ones, meaning I can't fit the new style NTE5 box onto it the one with the adsl filter built in, it doesnt really bother anyone too much just looking a bit old and wires are a bit loose, just don't like the adsl filters haning from each phone!
m063
Grafter

I found this web site that gives some useful info about NTE5 etc
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm
contains some info about fitting an NTE5 legally
Community Veteran

Yeah already looked at that, but I don't really want 2 boxes side by side, my uncle is a telecoms engineer for nortel networks he should be able to get one for me!
N/A

Saying that,
I still have the old style master socket ( single phone socket ). I think I may need to take a walk again and ask a BT Engineer for one of the new ones ready for when I need to move my live from where it is to a completely new home.

Can I ask though, what makes it illegal to change the master socet or even move it ? Its like being told that you have an ariel but your not allowed to move it or the coaxiel cable for it as it is highly illegal and so leaving you with a cable in a place of which is no use to you. Actually thinking back, if its due to the complexity then how hard can 2 wires be :lol: coaxiel = 2 wires, bt main line = 2 wires. Its only once you have hooked up the master socket that it mutates into 6.
Community Veteran

its more the fact that if you have one engineer visiting thats very rule abiding and sees that we have an "unofficial" master box they will throw me to the BT Hound Dogs! I know I can very easily fit a master socket (telecoms engineering runs in the family so I grew up with it all!)

Just found this on eBay!