cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a dual PSTN/SIP phone that is supported?

Dizzley
Grafter

This would be the killer for me.

Is there a dual standard phone, preferably DECT, which is supported by PlusTalk? Something like the Olympia dualphone http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00092ZILA which works with Skype.

Cheers,
Pete

Still waiting for my free 240 minutes - isn't marketing a wonderful thing? Wink
9 REPLIES
N/A

Well, I can't say that I've seen a product like that for SIP - I imagine it plugs in via. USB to the computer to interface with Skype - so you'd be looking for something for that to work with X-Lite, or that you configure to work with PlusTalk directly.

There are Wi-Fi phones that you can get, however they seem to be considerably more expensive (and I don't think I've seen one that lets you make PSTN calls either). Another way you could go about doing this, which is what I am currently attempting to do, would be to buy an ATA (analog telephone adapter) which has an FXO port (allowing it to connect to, and make calls using, your PSTN line), ethernet (so that it can talk to PlusTalk) and an FXS port (which will allow you to plug in an ordinary DECT telephone, or indeed any phone of your choice).

I've just bought the Zyxel 2000L, and I'm hoping that it will allow me to do that (receive incoming PSTN and SIP calls, as well as make PSTN and SIP calls)... I have read some comments saying that it's not the best device out there - but I'll let you know how it goes. If you already have some DECT telephones, then it may be well worth doing it this way.

Hope this information helps.
Dizzley
Grafter

Thanks for the comments.

Actually, that's a better solution: I don't mind buing an ATA (analogue Telephone adapter) that will also dial out on the PSTN.

Does anyone know which ATAs do this? Any good places to shop for ATAs?

Pete
N/A

Have a look at http://www.sipura.com. Not sure if their ATA's let you use VOIP or PSTN at the same time but they might... (I'm using an SPA841 phone and its an excellent bit of kit).

Try http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk.
N/A

The SPA3000 from sipura will do what you want, and the Zyxel2000L (Which will allow you to connect two analogue phones to it, but if you have multiple DECT handsets then one will suffice).
LiamM
Grafter

Re: Is there a dual PSTN/SIP phone that is supported?

Still waiting for my free 240 minutes - isn't marketing a wonderful thing? Wink

If you click UPGRADE at the top right hand side, select "Change your PlusTalk product" then under PAYG is "Plustalk 240" or something at cost £0.00. Change to this and you should have your minutes....
Dizzley
Grafter

Re: Is there a dual PSTN/SIP phone that is supported?

If you click UPGRADE at the top right hand side, select "Change your PlusTalk product" then under PAYG is "Plustalk 240" or something at cost £0.00. Change to this and you should have your minutes....

Unfortunately this option is not shown under upgrade, just the chargable ones e.g. PlusTalk Evenings and Weekends.

Thanks anyway.
N/A

Pete, I suspect it is because your product hasn't been updated yet. What date is your billing day?
Dizzley
Grafter

My billing date is the13th. I assumed I was upgraded then. However, I actually received the "important news about your broadband" on the 13th so perhaps I'll have to wait until next 13th?

Pete
N/A

Hm, you should have been upgraded on the 13th Pete.

I'd suggest raising a ticket and asking whether a) you've been upgraded to the new product and b) where your minutes are...

(One issue: If you are on a couple of the old package - Home surf and one other whose name escapes me there is no automatic replacement product)