cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it because they have fixed IP's?

N/A

I have zone alarm pro set to show me the last 50 blocked events (took <20 minutes tonight ) most of which are +net customers. A fair proportion show an actual +net user name but most are just e.g. 68-37.gw02.sheff.dial.plus.net.

Just idle curiosity - are the ones that give a username on fixed IP's?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can't be definate but I think that would be the case.
I am going of my webstats here where I know that if the IP is fixed it also shows me the visitors login name. Cool
Community Veteran

Yes AFAIK all static IP addresses now have reverese DNS (unless you specifically ask that its changed). The other ones you mention are customers on dynamic IPs

Chris
N/A

Just for interest sake I upped my view of ZoneAlarm alerts to the last 999 then viewed them by originating IP. The ones that quote usernames all have consistent IP's so that must be the case.

About a dozen or so +net customers with multiple entries on my log.

Is port 135 still being blocked externally?
N/A

I am getting a lot of Plusnet users IPs denied by my firewall also. This started about a week ago. Does anyone know why this is happening? Sad
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

This is due to the profusion of viruses that around at the moment. The virus will probably get the IP address of your PC and then scan the whole range of IP addresses - and hence lots of hits from PlusNet customers who are on the same range as you (the IP's you are seeing should start the same as yours I expect).

Regards,
N/A

Hi. Glad this thread exists as I was on my way to ask the same questions related to plusnet user "pings" showing on my firewall log.

Just one further question joshberry (or anyone), are you actually saying that the plusnet users that are pinging my IP are infected by a virus in some way? If so, although there are over 80 of them in the last 24hrs :shock: , should I be emailing them to inform them of the bad news?

Sorry for the thick question. Thick user. Wink
N/A

Hi. Glad this thread exists as I was on my way to ask the same questions related to plusnet user "pings" showing on my firewall log.

Just one further question joshberry (or anyone), are you actually saying that the plusnet users that are pinging my IP are infected by a virus in some way? If so, although there are over 80 of them in the last 24hrs :shock: , should I be emailing them to inform them of the bad news?

Sorry for the thick question. Thick user. Wink

I'd considered this myself, then thought about sending details to +Net but ended up doing nothing - Just out of idle curiosity I've looked at several www.'username'.plus.com's and been surprised at how many people there are who don't use their web space at all or one that I came across with nothing but some private stuff in, no Index.htm so the default dirlist came up.

Thing that surprises me is that all these users must surely know that they are infected ( I can't believe they aren't running up to date virus checkers Wink ).
antonywm

Hi there,

This is due to the profusion of viruses that around at the moment. The virus will probably get the IP address of your PC and then scan the whole range of IP addresses - and hence lots of hits from PlusNet customers who are on the same range as you (the IP's you are seeing should start the same as yours I expect).

Regards,

So is Plus Net planning to do anything about this, like block the ip's of the users infected or at least inform them that they are infected. it seems a bit strange to leave them flooding the network with pings. :?:
N/A

AFAIK, +net sare doing this, however, this sort of thing is a case by case basis and takes a long time.