cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is extra shaping applied to heavy usage customers?

N/A

Do Plusnet apply extra shaping to customers who use more than a set amount of traffic per month?

I ask because I'm on the standard BB plan, which is generally fine for my needs. About a month ago I wanted to download a Linux DVD image from P2P - 8.5GB worth. I set it running and, yeah, it took ages, but I was in no rush. By ages I mean about 4 weeks. Shocked} But I got it eventually.

But shortly after it finished I noticed that my P2P was no longer working properly. The problem seems to be my uploads. Someone connects, a very brief burst of traffic goes to them (maybe 1.2kb/s for a second or two) then the upload speed drops to 0.0. After 30 seconds or so they drop off, the next connection comes in and the same thing happens. This has been going on for some days now.

I didn't change my config and other types of upload still work fine - I can FTP a file to a remote server at 30kb/s. It's as if my outbound P2P packets are being filtered and dropped by Plusnet. Do they do anything like that?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds like you don't have port forwarding set up. Try a visit to www.portforward.com

Either that or your upload bandwidth is too slow and you are getting de-prioritised by the client.
N/A

Nope, I have port forwarding set up, and my upload bandwidth is set reasonably. My setup worked fine for several weeks and I downloaded an 8.5GB ISO image prior to the point when it stopped working. I didn't change anything.

I have a suspicion that it's not actually anything personal to me or my usage of the service, but that my usage of P2P to download a large file coincided with Plusnet changing their shaping configuration so as to render P2P just about unusable on the basic BB plan.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]