cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Apache the Best Web Server Program?

N/A

Is Apache the Best Web Server Program? If no why and what do you think is the best?
16 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

That all depends on your needs.

For running ASP scripts, you are probably best with Microsoft Internet Information Services. For anything else, then I reckon you are best with Apache although something like thttpd may also be suitable.
N/A

does anyone no how to in apache limit user sizes and/or how to limit folders in windows
Community Veteran

And your budget Cheesy

Also best for what?

'Best' could be interpreted in many ways. Does it mean: fastest, most feature rich, most reliable, most stable, most portable, most secure etc etc. You are unlikely to find a web server that has all those, most will have some, some will have none etc.

Also the underlying architecture of the hardware plays an important part in the overall capability of a web server.

So you can only decide what web server is best by knowing what you want to do with it. And with such a variety of web servers around without that basic information I would find it impossible to say if Apache or any other web server is the best.
N/A

the main use would be web hosting, hosting other peoples files and stuff so i need one that can limit file storage folders and has good secrity which is best
Community Veteran

It is really like saying whats the best Operating system or even best car or pair of trainers.

As said above it really does depend on a multitude of things.

Chris
michaelscott
Grafter

Apache is by far the most commonly used web server on the internet. If you want something that is a little less complicated, I suggest you take a look at Xitami - you can use it to set quotas and it has a built in FTP server, too.
N/A

ok does it support asp, php, sql and all the othere coding
N/A

A web servers is designed to interface with browsers and clients using the HTTP protocol.

In can if it so wishes, incliment the CGI protocol, which allows applications to be run based on the qeury string sent.

It is upto these programs to support different coding styles or further interface with systems like SQL.

PHP is one such language that can interface with SQL, and PHP can interface with apache, so yes, that is possible.

ASP however is not possible without using third-party applications like Chillisoft ASP, however, these are not free.

ASP is one of the very few languages you can run for free on Apache.
N/A

So my plus net webspace DOES support php? cause im havin a few probs with it. Sad

ever heard of HLstats.. a stats database for Counter-strike well im tryin to set it up. and its jus not working. I save a PHP page and it just shows the coding including the password text and database name and blah blah, im really confused.
Community Veteran

PHP only works on your cgi server which only comes with certain ADSL products (ADSL Home surf has no cgi webspace). What product did you sign up for.

If you downloaded your php to ftp.plus.net this is your www webspace and it cannot run PHP scripts..

See the tutorials and FAQs section, read what is there and then post back if it does not answer your question.
N/A

id rather not deal with all that apachee stuff. Is there a way to upgrade it to support PHP? Im really surprised it doesnt support it, i thought php was like...a standerd thing.
csogilvie
Grafter

PHP is supported, but its on a different server. You need to activate CGI from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=mywebsite and then upload the scripts to cgi.plus.net when you get the instructional email. The files will then be visible at http://cgi.username.plus.com
N/A

thx for the lightening speed reply, ill try that out. Thx.
I activated my CGI a while ago, but havent yet recieved an e-mail :?
N/A

How long is a while?

It can take upto 5 working days, IE, 7 days in total.

if you don't receive the e-mai, you can usualy try logging into the server anyhow.

Connect to cgi.plus.net with your normal username and password.