cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet chat/DNS ?

N/A

Internet chat/DNS ?

One website I have used I am now unable to launch their chat site - they have advised that they have changed the location of the chat server, which has changed the IP and DNS addresses. They said that most Service Providers cache DNS addresses, but should update those addresses every 24 hours. Unfortunately, some Service Providers do not update their systems as regularly as they should. They have run both the old and new address in tandem for the last 2 weeks and by now, the ISP should have updated the DNS address. As they have now been forced to turn off the old address and as I am unable to access chat, it is because I am still having to wait for my ISP to update the old cached DNS address. Does this makes sense - they have given me some step by step instructions how to change the DNS server address which I cant follow and not sure I should do anyway as I don't even know what a DNS server address is ! Any advice ?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Internet chat/DNS ?

DNS (Domain Name Service) is a way to convert a website URL into an IP address. All connections on the internet between your system/browser and the destination website are perfomed by IP address rather than the website name. When you enter something like www.example.com in your address bar (or click on a link), the IP address for it is obtained by doing a DNS lookup - www.example.com is sent to PlusNets DNS server and it returnes an IP address for it if it is known to it. This returned IP address is then used to connect to the website (or more likely the server that is hosting the website).

A link or URL would help (to the old and new char services if you have them), then we can try it to see if it is a DNS error or something on your system that is causing your connection problem.

DNS updates/change, if done properly, should propogate through the internet to all the DNS servers within 48 hours and this applies to PlusNet's DNS servers as well.

Have you added anything like the IP address and name to your hosts file?

Have you tried the ping command to the domain name from a DOS/cmd window e.g.:
C:> ping www.microsoft.com

or use tracert
C:> tracert www.micosoft.com

And post your results
N/A

Internet chat/DNS ?

Thanks Peter - the problem after 3 days mysteriously went away today - I guess the NS upgrade took place and all is fine now. Thanks again .
N/A

Internet chat/DNS ?

It is likely that while the old service still existed on the old IP, the new one would have taken a "sub" position until the old server was ceased.
N/A

Internet chat/DNS ?

I am aware I believe of what this website is and have now tested and can login to it, the reason was that the just dropped the old server without first making the new one primary for the chat room, so the DNS took some time to update. This now sems to have been resolved and I have been oto the support staff to confirm what they did, please clear your cache and retry this.
N/A

Internet chat/DNS ?

My mistake I can see you are now connected, anyway the reason above is why the error occured, the move was not performed as gracefully as may be expected.