cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Security - excessive bandwidth usage

N/A

I am running a desktop and an IBM laptop through a WAP-ADSL modem/router at home, often left on standby. Both machines have WinXP O/S.

During summer I noticed a month-to-month increase in weekly bandwidth usage, little of it had anything to do with me. In October I was away for 8 days and during that period about 220 MB of traffic was recorded. I'm running daily a Norton AV software, Spybot Search & Destroy Resident, Spyware Blaster and since last month, MS AntiSpyware (Beta). My Windows firewalls are up on all Internet links but SfieldsUp test yesterday revealed ports 21, 23 and 80 open. First 4 days of this week registered 205 MB of traffic already!

Can anybody suggest what seems to be going on?

Although I live in a secluded private residential development (WAP range is safe), today I decided to change the name of my network, secure it with 64-bit encryption, close the offending ports 21, 23 and 80 and set up a dead-alley DMZ giving me "STEALTH" status on all ports. No "pings" are sent or responded to. I'm close to my monthly limit of 1.0 GB but the test will reveal if bandwidth is still being poached.

Could there be some unauthorised traffic at the PlusNet server end?

Regards,
Mike Rajkovic
Data Wireless

11 REPLIES
N/A

I'm not sure - but I noticed another person was saying they had strange bandwidth usage here - http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34988 maybe worth having a look.
N/A

HI
If you are relying totally on windows xp firewall there's no control of outgoing connections should your machine be infected with a Trojan or worm.

I suggest also trying: Stinger
Shredder
Adaware

Then an online scan with Housecall
and the free trial of EWIDO

Then I'd use a decent firewall. (You can only use one firewall at a time)
There are free ones such as:Zonelalarm Though my personal favorite is MacAfee.

(A total shot in the dark, If you have had trouble with your sound too and have been using msn it is possible that you have the Bropia A Trojan, but Norton should have picked that up.)
N/A

Hi,

205 MB is not a great deal of traffic, remember 1 MB is only about 20 low graphics content pages on the internet. If you've got anti-virus software, msn etc your usage will rise.

I personally wouldn't use the windows firewall, as already mentioned, it has no outbound control. I would recommend zone alarm, it's free and it's very secure, and currently scores very highly on leaktests. If you willing to pay for one, then I would recommened Zone Alarm Pro.

I would also run stinger (see previous post) and remember to disable system restore before doing so, otherwise you risk re-infection if you have a virus or trojan.
N/A

Thank you gentlemen,

I've already installed the ZoneAlarm and it does appear that a lot of traffic is outbound. I forgot to mention that I have Skype installed and use it quite frequently.

Now I'll run the suggested on-line checks with "restore" disabled.

Mike
DataWireless
N/A

I'm not a gentleman :?
N/A

Sorry Bluebellhouse,

No offense ment. Run all the tests with Housecall, Adaware, Stinger and Shredder. Housecall found 6 or so minor threats (ignored by MS AntuSpyware) and cleaned them up. Spybot SD Resident was re-run and found nothing. All was done with System Restore disabled.

ZoneAlarm now in place (plus Spybot SD, MS AntiSpyware and Norton AV).
No problem with sound (your shot in the dark) but I do have Skype software running permanently.

Do I reboot before resetting the System Restore or after?

Mike Rajkovic
N/A

You need to disable system restore, reboot, clean your system and then turn it back on.
N/A

Thanks gadgetboy,

I guess the repeat of what I did is now required. Didn't reboot after unticking System Restore (because there was no prompt). 310,000 files on 4 drives, here we go.

Mike Rajkovic
N/A

Hi there,
I would still download and runEwido, it finds all sorts that others don't and it is free, disable NAV first though. (Also you can keep it as a stand alone free- and it updates)
If you are still squeaky clean Will you let me know if Ewido found anything?
Regards
Nicky
N/A

OK Nicky,

Will do. Just give me half an hour or so.

Mike
N/A

EWIDO located 131 aditional "threats" but 130 were medium to low risk cookies ignored by other programs and one was an obsolete ISP "dialer".

The quaranteened cookies were either immunised or blocked by Spybot SD and others. The AdAware SE Personal by Lavasoft found 35 more cookies at the end and also 2 dialers, all TAC 3 rated, i.e. low threat. By now I guess they were scaraping the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks and regards,

Mike