cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Security, Information please.

N/A

Can anybody tell me how to prevent my IE preferences being altered, on one or two occasions my home page has been altered and in the last incident several entries were added to my favourites list.

Is it possible that I've done this myself by being conned into hitting a button on a dodgy web site?

I'm running ZoneAlarm and a router with a NAT firewall, I had assumed, probably incorrectly that this kind of intrusion would not be possible.

Many thanks,

..... Phil.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Could be some sort of spyware program that you have managed to get on your PC.
Down load Adaware and Spybot. these are 2 programs that will root out and remove these nasties.
You need both of them because each finds things that the other doesn't
N/A

No amount of firewalling will make intrusion impossible, more like as close as possible.

As for homepages and favourate changes, these are the classic symptoms of a spy & adware.

You might try downloading a program like AdAware or Spybot.

These will scan your system, in much the same way a virus scanner does (AdAware provides a perminant running scanner, the dsame as a virus scanner, in the paid version).

It will detect and remove most, though to get rid of some, it may require a reboot and rescan.
Community Veteran

Philip has given you the Url for Adaware in the post above.
You can get Spybot from Here
N/A

Many thanks to both of you for your help, just downloaded and run Ad-Aware and Spybot and as you suggested my machine appears to be "crawling" with spyware. Cleaned up one machine, two more to go!

Thanks again,

..... Phil.