cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer crashing

N/A

I am running Windows XP Pro and have been having trouble with Internet Explorer crashing. Usually, the screen just turns black and I get no response using ctrl/alt/del and I have to switch off and restart. The last time it crashed, however, I had the message
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and a message that the file that seemed to be causing the problem was win32k.sys.
Since this crash, I cannot connect to the Internet unless I stop Zone Alarm and I don't want to be online without a firewall but have no option at the moment.
I would be most grateful if anyone could suggest what the problem might be - might it be Zone Alarm itself?
8 REPLIES
N/A

1) doesnt really sound like IEs faults but w/e , change to firefox www.getfirefox.com
2) change from zone alarm to sygate personal firewall : http://www.sygate.com/
3) chkdsk ur hard drive, then defrag it to make sure no data is corrupt

have a good christmas
N/A

Thanks for the tips, buzzons, I'll try them out. I did have Firefox until recently but I had troubles with it also. I suspect that Zone Alarm is responsible for much of this.
N/A

probably, Smiley give sygate ago, its really nice and works fine with firefox (i should know, im using both Smiley)
N/A

I downloaded the free version of sygate but it could not install properly for some unspecified reason - virus checker and all progs were shut down.
I remembered that I had a copy of MacaFee firewall that came with my step-daughter's computer - her computer is not connected to the Internet so it isn't required there. I have installed that and have had no crashes since. I don't know what the problem is with Zone Alarm; I've been using it for quite a long time and haven't had any trouble with it. Perhaps the latest update is flawed or something. I'll keep the present set up for a few days and if all goes well, I'll have another go at Firefox. I like the idea of using non-Microsoft apps for the web and e-mail; I tried Pegasus mail but found the interface a bit of a dog's breakfast, so I'm still using Outlook Express.
Thanks again for the tips, buzzons.
N/A

try thunderbird for your email, (its by the same people that do firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

you should find it just as nice as firefox (if you are using it that is), and its not buggy like OE, and is very user friendly.

Hope this helps some what

Happy Christmas

Buzzons
lowry
Grafter

Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox are both good applications and they are both quite similar to their Microsoft counterparts, and so are not too hard to get to grips with. I now use Firefox as my defualt browser.

It's hard to diagnose the problem, but ZoneAlarm is often a cause of some of these type of issues. I had numerous problems with ZoneAlarm and so changed to Sygate Personal Firewall not so long ago.

I'm afraid thought that if that does not solve the problem, it could be something more complex possibly requiring a re-install of Windows (you can do this and keep your files intact, but back-up just incase) as Internet Explorer can not be uninstalled and re-installed by itself as it is a core part of the operating system. Leave this as a very last restort though, and makesure you know what you;re doing before you start Smiley.

matt Wink
N/A

I have reinstalled XP - those crashes seemed to have corrupted the system beyond repair. I have Firefox and Thunderbird installed with MacaFee firewall and Norton anti-virus; so far all seems well.
I have just recently "upgraded" from Win 98 to XP and I am not too familiar with it; I would be grateful if anyone could tell me which services MUST be running for XP to function. Looking at msconfig/Services, I count 48 services running - many of them seem to be well beyond my needs - network services, for example - but I don't want to disable them without being sure.
I have disabled the Windows Messenger service - it's bad enough getting spam in your e-mail without getting it while browsing as well: congratulations Microsoft.
Community Veteran

See Black Vipers website for a list of what each service does and whether it is needed or not. Just click on the 'Windows XP Service Pack 2 Services' link.