cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer Hijacking (IE Default homepage changes)

N/A

Hi

thought I'd post this as I had a very baaaad experience after visiting a nasty website.

basically I agree'd to one of those active x install messages after visiting a website, (very silly thing to do without reading through to find out it's author!).

I later found that my default homepage in Internet Explorer had been changed to home.whazit.com. After changing it back I found the next time IE was launched it had reverted back to whazit.com again. Also, on some occaisions when I simply typed an address in or visited one of my favorites, the webpage would simply re-direct to whazit again! After visiting some forums this I found there is a name for this kind of thing... It's called Hijacking whereby people get paid money for each successful hijacking in order to promote websites etc. After many failed attempts at getting rid of it (via the registry, IE settings etc). I found the cure

I installed Ad-Aware, a free program available to download from http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/

You first need to update the software with the latest database of signitures (easily done via the program). Then run it and it will detect all spyware type programs on your system! I'd recommend trying it. It detected quite a few on my pc, I deleted them and have had no problems since, default homepage stays the same now Cheesy
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

lava softs ad-ware killer is good but doesn't cover all of them, best ot use Spy Bot as well.

http://security.kolla.de/
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

lava softs ad-ware killer is good but doesn't cover all of them, best ot use Spy Bot as well.

http://security.kolla.de/

Thanks for that info Wink I have used Adaware for a while now but just tried the Spy bot as well and it has found a lot more items as well. Evil
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

This looks like a thoroughly professional product, especially give the philanthropic nature of its author.
N/A

Another good site for info on such parasitic spyware/scumware is www.doxdesk.com/parasite.

GM
N/A

I've been using both ad-aware and spy bot together for some time and agree that they complement each other well.

Only thing is especially with spy bot that it can be a bit over sensitive with e.g. m.r.u. lists and the like which i.m.o. for most people serve a useful purpose.

It makes interesting reading to install something like a p2p app and then run each of them immediately afterwards just to see all the stuff that's been slipped in without your knowledge (OK I know it's usually in the read me - but who reads all that stuff ?)
N/A

I've been using both ad-aware and spy bot together for some time and agree that they complement each other well.

Only thing is especially with spy bot that it can be a bit over sensitive with e.g. m.r.u. lists and the like which i.m.o. for most people serve a useful purpose.

you can actually set spybot so it doesnt detect the MRU lists etc.

yours
marc
N/A

A lot of these hijacks set a startup prog to install thing in the reg using
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

lets you check whats loading at startup and lets you disable it

and its FREE
Community Veteran

You can check startup services and things just by typing msconfig into Windows's Run box.

Thomas
N/A

For those of you that don't wish to download all of AdAware or SpyBot, you may like to try another mathod of scanning.

Pestscan is a a free online scanner, that functions much like online AV products.

You can go direct to the scanning page via THIS link.
Community Veteran

Just tried it Philip but after it has done the scan and found items it wants me to buy it :x at least spybot and ad-aware are free
N/A

PestScan does not remove pests - many of them change registry entries and other settings deep in the heart of your computer’s operating system, and it would not be completely safe to remove all traces of these pests while you are online. You can decide after reading the descriptions of the pests found on your PC whether you can live with this level of security problem on your computer, if you are skilled enough to manually remove them, or whether you would prefer to purchase a licensed copy of PestPatrol to automatically remove what PestScan has found – and protect you against any further invasions.

It is very handy to know what is on your system.

It does seem a little over confident though. It reports some programs that use simalar names to spyware products as spyware
N/A

I use a very good little freeware app which detects and eliminates methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites

Called "HiJackThis" and available here
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

give it a try and let me know