cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer Drop-down Web-Address List

penneck
Grafter

If any of my anti-spyware files (Spybot, Ad-aware, etc) discovers anything to complain about, they clear the drop-down web-address list in Internet Explorer. This is a pain because I then have to reload by hand all the web-addresses that I use frequently. I'm having to do this reload 3 or 4 times per week.

Does anyone know a way of protecting this list, without me having to stop using the anti-spyware, please?

Thanks for your help.

Grumpy
6 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Well my first suggestion would be to get Mozilla Firefox from www.mozilla.org but if you don't wanna do that, try my method below of fixing it.

Assuming you have installed SP2 on XP, you should have 5 blank boxes as shown in the screenshot here. Double click on the middle (3rd one from the left) as shown in the screenshot. Simply scroll down to the spybot and adaware and disable their interactions with IE.
penneck
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm using Win 98SE. It has three of those boxes, and none of them do what you suggesed that XP will do, but it was worth the shot, and I'm grateful for your help.

Grumpy
craigbrass
Grafter

Well that feature I refered to is only avalable on XP SP2. It is basically a way of blocking plugins. Not sure how it is done on older IE versions but as far as I know, I think its manual by removing files from the C:/Windows IE Downloaded Programs Files Folder, but I would wait on sombody confirming that as I am not totally sure.
N/A

In future, you can easily take a copy of your favorites:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Favorites\ and take a full copy of everything on this folder before you run any of these programs that may remove your favorites.
If you do then lose your favorites, you can easily copy them back again.
Low tech I know, but reliable nonetheless.

If you will be doing this more frequently, you can write a couple of scripts to copy them backwards and forwards.

Try http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm for details on how to use xcopy. (It been part of MSDOS since Windows 3.3 (approx) so should work on just about any windows box still alive!)

Incidentally, if you can get used to using MSDOS, you will find it much faster than normal windows commands. Especially if you are moving large files about etc.
penneck
Grafter

Thankyou for your help, James. I'm grateful for all constructive suggestions.

I tried this but was immediately stopped because I couldn't find any of these directory names on my pc. I have Windows 98SE - could your directory be found only in one of the other Windows-variants?

Graham
N/A

Sorry, me being an idiot.
The location for these files should have read
C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\ etc....
Shockedops: