cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased virus traffic - Nov 2004?

N/A

Has anyone else experienced an increase in the amount of email virus traffic in the last month or two?

It's all blocked and quarantined by Norton AV 2005 but it's annoying nonetheless. It seems to be always the "Netsky" virus.

Never got any of these warnings for two years with Plusnet but now I get 2 emails a day with a virus detection on them. :x

(I am using retail NAV 2005 + NPF2004)

cheers.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Unfortunatly, no matter how careful you are, the older your e-mail address becomes, the nearer it will come to being papered with such e-mails.

It has unfortuantly become a trait of the internet, which is very hard to remove.
N/A

Hi,

As Phillip says this is just the way things are at the minute with email and the internet.

Out of curiosity what type of account do you have? It may be worth checking if the Antivirus feature is available as a free option with your account type.

This way, providing you are using Plus Net's mail servers your email can be scanned before it hits your inbox and any virus will be identified and stripped before it reaches you.

You will in effect have two tier protection in that case.

Regards

Mark
N/A

2 or 3 a day I would love, things got so bad today I phoned up support.
Had over 2000 waiting to hit me.
Luckily they pointed me to Magic Mail Monitor which alows me to dump them on mass straight from the server, without the need to even download them..

Thanks Plus Net
N/A

Had over 2000 waiting to hit me.
:shock:

I get about 10 to 20 a day on a non-plus net account, which I've had for years. It's pain but my virus checker kills them before they enter my mail box. I would say the number of these e-mails has increased but not dramatically.

Aaron
N/A

I don't know if this has anything to do with the current topic but my AVG e-mail scanner keeps activating today - even when I am neither sending or receiving mail . A message box pops up saying "Connecting to 212.159.10.1" It's never done this before - today it's doing it every few minutes.
Community Veteran

Hmm AVG found one on my machine the other day but it couldnt remove it.
It told me which file was infected but XP couldnt find the file. Cry
Thank god I've kept Fat32 as my file formats as it allowed good old DOS to find the file and kill it.
If I'd gone for the default NTFS that XP wants to stuff down your thoat I would have been snookered.
N/A

I think I might have something wrong with AVG - it's been acting up all day and then I couldn't get Outlook Express to connect with AVG running. I've removed AVG
and switched on the anti-virus function in Zone Alarm. This has allowed Outlook to connect, but is Zone Alarm on its own sufficient protection?
I just updated AVG yesterday.
N/A

I was interested in the spam virus. I am getting a regular Netsky virus attempt just about every day. Whoever is doing this is a very busy person. I use Norton fw and av and they are always stopped.

Is there anything we can do about this?
N/A

You can e-mail the person who sent it, tell them they are infected. Other than that, I'm not sure there is much more you can do I'm afraid.
Community Veteran

Basicaly no.
The address that they appear to come from will be spoofed so there is no way to track the source down.
Just have to keep your anti virus software upto date Cool