cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming VOIP number now available at www.sipdiscount.com

N/A

Hi

I logged into my sipdiscount account today and they offered me a free incoming number for the VOIP service. It is in the following format:

+445601xxxxxx but you can just dial 05601xxxxxx from a UK landline or mobile.

I'm not sure what the charges are for an 056 number but I presume it may be either the same as lo-call 0845 or national 0870 rates and one would assume this is how they will be making their money (via the incoming calls rather than the outgoing like I have seen other SIP providers do including PlusTalk - difference is outgoing landline calls are completely free with no subs).

Ah well, good job the Grandstream 486 has the PSTN pass-through so my family and friends can continue to call me on the local analogue number without worrying too much about the cost!

PS So does anyone know how much the 056 number costs to call from both PSTN networks like BT and other VOIP providers?
7 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

This sort of details can be obtained from the BT Price List.

The charge catagory for the 05XX range can be found HERE

The price per min to the g21 price band can be found on the following page HERE

4.89ppm daytime
2ppm evening
1.18ppm weekends

0845 comes under the "local" band.

So 056 numbers are a little more expensive to call.

Kind Regards,
N/A

Many thanks for the useful info..

I thought that they may be a little more expensive to call than the 0845xx numbers as they have to make money somewhere down the line! To be honest I thought it would be more expensive than this but I'm sure the mobile networks will have a nice little earner out of these numbers when more people start to use them!
N/A

If you are on BT Together Option 1, 2 or 3, calls to 056 numbers are charged at exactly the same rate as calls to geographic numbers.

The incoming number allocated by SIPDiscount is based on the address you gave when you registered - you will get a geographic number allocated to you if your address is in certain places (e.g. London). I gave an address in London when I registered, and then changed it to my real address after I had been allocated a London number!

Tim
N/A

Thats a useful tip for getting a geographic number - I never thought of doing that!

The only problem with people dialling the 056 numbers is if they are using anything other than the BT Together packages. Most people I know are using the CPS PSTN services like TalkTalk, OneTel etc. Having a look at TalkTalk site their rates are exactly the same as BTs for the number at 4.89peak, 2pevening, 1.18 at weekends. This is fine, however, after trying to find information on the G21 rates on the mobile networks price plans I have not found anything so it would be interesting to see how much you pay to ring this number from a mobile.
N/A

You may also find that you cannot call 056 numbers from some telephone service providers.

Tim
N/A

If i register for a 'Local' number for my Voip services is there a charge to me?
N/A

It depends on who your VoIP provider is - some charge for providing a local number, others provide one free of charge.

Tim