cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming SSH

N/A

Incoming SSH

Are we allowed to have incoming SSH to our connections or have Plusnet blocked port 22 to stop us using it. Just wondering as I want to be able to remotely access my server box whilst on campus at university during the day.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Incoming SSH

Yep Cheesy

Its allowed, the only restriction on SSH is that you can not SSH onto the Plus.Net CGI servers, from outside Plus.Net.

Are you aware of the security risks?

Chilly
N/A

Incoming SSH

aware of the security risks of sshing into my box, i am going to go with fairly low, because I am just configuring the public/private key option so passwords don't have to be typed in, also you can't ssh in as root, so that means the box is fairly secure.

SSH is great and since everything is encrypted it makes it even handier.
Community Veteran

Incoming SSH

Sorry if my question was patronising, I was just doing my due diligence.

Chilly
N/A

Incoming SSH

Its fine, I would have just assumed that most people that are using SSH would have some idea of how to make sure that they are doing it securely, thanx for being diligent though (not being patronising)
michaelscott
Grafter

Incoming SSH

I'll be doing the same when I go to uni. Once I find out their IP, I'll be setting my router to only accept SSH connections from that IP alone.
N/A

Incoming SSH

I know that my uni doesn't work like that, everywhere has Public IP's and since I will be connecting from my laptop then that will end up with a different one each time, unfortunately at the moment the dyndns account I have doesn't seem to be updating, now i am not sure if that is due to the computer or plusnet