Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound number not workiing from some (all?) BT landlines

maccoylton
Grafter

Hi,

I've had a PlusTalk account since it was first anonced as a beta product. The only problem is I have one fundatmental issue which has now been an open ticket with PlustNet since 2005-09-30.

The issue is that although all PlustTalk to PlustTalk calls are ok and I can successfull call my inbound number from the 3, 02 and Vodafone mobile networks, I cannot call it from my own BT phone (area code 01292) nor from my office phone (area code 0141). Also tried with no success (01505). Any call originating from these areas codes immediately gives a constant tone (think this means unobtainable)

Eventually after much backawards and forwards on the ticket PlusNet finally agreed the issue was not at my end, but somewhere in the loop between BT, PlusNet's thrid party telecomms provider and Plusnet. Ofcourse that was in November, and I'm, still wating....

FYI the simple test I did, which took a couple of tries to convice PlusNet that the problem was not at my end was to completely disconnect my end .. then the calls should at least have gone to voicemail on the PlusNet PlusTalk server, which of course they did from the mobile numbers, but not from the BT Landlines.

Regards

David
7 REPLIES
N/A

David, this won't free up the issue you've got with PN but might mean you're reachable on VOIP from BT land.

Get an account on http://www.voipuser.org and change your settings so that calls to the number you get from voipuser are redirected to your plusnet sip account (sip:plustalk@{youruserid}.plus.com).
maccoylton
Grafter

Thanks Solstans

I've been a voipuser.org member for a couple of years now, so I do have a workaround, although was hoping to use PlusTalk as my "production" number and continue to use voipuser for testing purposes.

Regards

David
N/A

I've been using voipuser as my primary inbound number (my POTS phone died a death when one of the kitties mistook it for a litter tray Wink ) with no problems...
N/A

>Get an account on http://www.voipuser.org and change your settings so that >calls to the number you get from voipuser are redirected to your plusnet sip >account (sip:plustalk@{youruserid}.plus.com).

Hi! I too have an "unreachable by any phone" PlusTalk number!

I have also done what you said - setup an account at Voipuser.org and
enabled an incoming number that I have redirected to my PlusTalk SIP address.

I am new to voipuser.org but seems a good community group.

I take it this is ok to just use this part of their "services" - just redirect the number to your SIP address - that way they get the income - correct?

Since I am not using their outbound service - this keeps them happy yes?

Just hoping I read all the info at their site correctly. Thanks.
maccoylton
Grafter

Still no update from PlusNet
csogilvie
Grafter

If it's still not working, try adding a STUN server of stun.sipgate.net - this was suggested to me in a ticket although, surprisingly, my issue of this was solved before I tried that...
maccoylton
Grafter

Hi,

we'll the great news is my issue is now fixed. I got a reply to my ticket from PlusNet also suggesting adding a stun server.

The only thing is I already had the Stun server setup. So nothing changed at my end.

The point is that I have always been able to make calls inbound from some numbers, but not others. This behaviour was consistent through the lifetime of this issue, which really does point to something other than settings at my end. At one point I had contactecd BT and their suggestion was it was either a capacity or routing problem at PlusNet's telcoms provider.

So I'm happy it's fixed, but it would have been great to know what made the difference.

Regads

David