Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IP addresses

I am getting a little confused about IP addresses which I thought were meant to be accurate. I have just looked up my current IP address - which is dynamic rather than static - and it gives the following information :

My ip address: 83.138.136.91 (copy)
IP country: United Kingdom
IP Address state: Gloucestershire
IP Address city: Westwell
IP latitude: 51.7833
IP longitude: -1.6833
isp: Rackspace.com
organization: Net2Roam-Ltd- IP Space
your speed: Unknown

That is a load of bunkum ! Well, it may not be, but I do not recognise a word of it. For a start, I do not live in Gloucestershire - it is all I can do to spell Glosterersershheer, so I could not possibly live there !
Secondly, my ISP is Plusnet, not rackspace.com. And what on earth is Net2Roam, Ltd ?

The simple reason for asking all this is that I am trying to put a Google webcounter on my website, but I want to exclude my own I address from the count. As my IP address is dynamic, that makes it more difficult because presumably everytime I shut down and start up again, the IP addtress changes. The instructions tell me that I can excludemy local home network IP instead (192.168.1-50), but surely, if I were to do that, the counter would exclude any visitor who has a local area network ? Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Any advoce appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Teatime
Grafter

IP addresses

Not sure that I understand this... Where did you get the IP address "83.138.136.91" from? That resolves to scandium.onspeed.com...

And the 192.168 address-range you mention are private addresses: you will not see these from any connection to your website except from your own home network.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IP addresses

Thanks for the response. Now I understand a bit more. I did not realise that that IP was Onspeed. I use Onspeed as a web download accelerator, particular when travelling and having to use dial-up. But it even accelerates Broadband - recent activity over the past month by 2.7 times on broadband. So at £25 p.a. it is good value, but particularly for dial-up. It is a proxy server, so everything passes through it (www.onspeed.co.uk).

So now I understand that past. The second part of the question is still unfathomable. What you say about the LAN is exactly what I would have thought. So when using a webcounter, how do I prevent my own access to the website (usually for management purposes) from being counted ? Google suggested the 192.168.1-50 range, which I thought was odd for the reason you have given. If my IP address is dynamic, how can I tell Google which hits not to count ?