cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IIS - running a test Intranet

rhosybol
Grafter

I have XP Pro SP2 and use IIS to test websites (a bit like an Intranet) however I have heard that this can be public if people know your IP address, is there a way to make my IIS totally private (ie only I can see it or the machines on my network)
6 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Block incoming port 80 on your router / firewall
rhosybol
Grafter

Is it possible to change this in Windows Firewall.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Not sure, I don't use Windows firewall
N/A

AFAIK Windows firewall lets you block or unblock ports globaly - so if you block port 80 then you'll block it for everybody. (Not sure but it may be on a network interface basis)
N/A

I use xitami webserver
from http://www.xitami.com/download.htm

it runns of a floppy very lettle setup and is FREE. You just click on a exe to run it and close it from the tray. This way you only need to have it running while you test a site and then shut it down. If you can block port 80 on the router its ok but if you block it localy the webserver wont work. You could change the port for your server make it a bit harder for hackers
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

In IIS you could also block access by default, and only grant access from certain known IP Addresses that you want. If you set your firewall right then this would be totally redundant, but might be worth doing it as a second defense incase anything goes wrong.

To do this, in IIS Manager click on the properties of the website you want to change. Then click on the Directory Security tab. Then in the IP Address section click on the edit button. By selecting the radio button at the top, you can allow or deny access by default, and then in the bottom section you can specify IP Addresses, IP Ranges or domains to be blocked or allowed.

Hope this is of help

Phil