cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IIS FTP server can't be seen remotely

N/A

Hi folks

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I'm trying to set up IIS so that I can leave my machine running all day and my clients can drop off work for me and later pick it up (I'm a freelance journalist/editor and often deal in files that are too big for email inboxes).

Thing is, both the web server and ftp server I have set up seem to work fine when accessed by this, the local machine (using http:// or ftp:// of the dns for m machine), but not remotely - users just get a 404 error, I'm told.

AFAIK, IIS is fully patched and running default settings, bar the password I have added for the FTP server, which works fine when accessed from the local host.

I'm also running Zone Alarm, but this lets IIS through. Does the standard Windows XP connection firewall block IIS traffic as standard?

Any tips are very welcome!

Up-jump the boogie Wink
Steve
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you using a router, if so have you forwarded the correct port to your machine, should be 80 if as you say you are using default settings.

Disable the XP Firewall, this isn't needed since you have ZoneAlarm running which is far superior and running 2 software firewalls is likely to cause problems, there was a recent thread on this, do a forum search for more info.

Chris
N/A

Nope, not using a router (yet!)
WIll search the forums a bit harder Smiley
Thanks

Steve
N/A

404 error usualy mean the page isnt found have they tried connecting to your ip and adding the page. ie 212.192.119.3/index.htm ? Can they ping your server? Can they get to the ftp with an ftp client?

The webpages may not work if they are scripts and you havent given the server exicute on the dir.

The other thing is have you disabled the guest account? IIS lets users login using the guest account and if that is disabled they cant log in. Loging in localy you will have NT authentifacation so it would work.

be sure to set file permisions on the system dir so guest cant delete or change anything. If we knew the page we could tell you better
N/A

Thanks for the suggestions. All is well now - seems I was just being a dunce and my firewall was getting in the way of legitimate requests. Gah!

Cheers for the help anyway!

Steve