cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE6, spinning globe and time-outs

Community Veteran

NT4 SP6 with IE6 SP1. Opening IE will work ok, as will usually the first couple of links clicked. After that, clicking on a link, typing an address in the address bar or using refresh just result in the IE globe spinning continuously for about a minute or so, followed by it timing out.

If I open a new IE instance, I can paste in the url, or drag the link across from the stalled browser instance and things work ok for the first couple of clicks once more.

Any thoughts on this?
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
14 REPLIES
N/A

use firefox :p

and update ur system :p
N/A

Yet another helpful one :lol:

Mark
N/A

i try ma best :p and hey using firefox is a GOOD idea :p
Community Veteran

It's a work system, so updating isn't an option - you don't think I'd be using NT4 by choice, do you?
N/A

point taken Smiley

er.. if you ping the site what happens.. maybe its the gateway at work getting overloaded with hits (such as MsBlast / MyDoom ?)

buz
Community Veteran

Can you download and install software on your PC. If so, run adaware and spyot search & destroy to check for spyware.

Do you have a virus scanner installed. If so, try performing a full system scan. If you don't (which would be a very bad thing for a corp PC) then try downloading one of the many free virus scanners or running one of the online ones and see if it finds anything.

Links the all the above can be found in General: Essential Security software.

If you can't download / install any software then speak to your PC support dept and ask what they can do about it as something is clearly wrong on your system.
Community Veteran

It's free of spyware and clear of viruses (or virii for the purists ;p)

From a bit of googling, it seems to be one of those problems that a number of people get, but that nobody ever really solves, apart from the extremes of complete reinstalls.

The problem with solving this kind of thing is that it's not consistent eg I've managed to navigate to here with no issues through several links, secure and insecure sites, etc. However, on other occasions I'll be lucky to get past the first hyperlink.

All very odd!
N/A

it could have somthing to do with the way ur computer is conencting tot he DNS servers (which 2 are u using) and also the DNS cache on ur box its self (i asume it will hve one) see if you can find a way to flush it.
Community Veteran

It's two internal servers, the same ones used by all the other machines across the company

I tried flushing the dns cache, but that didn't help either.
N/A

check the routign to the two dns servers? try 2 diff ones?
Community Veteran

The more I look at this, the more I think it's either IE or some configuration issue with it. The only difference between that machine and the one next to it is one has IE4 and that one has IE6 - otherwise they were both built from the same image.
N/A

maybe ie6 has problems on NT4? can you degrade back down to IE4 and see if you have the same problems?
N/A

the normal cause of this is having google or other toolbars installed. I have come across it before I dont know why but I have used google toolbar on 100's of pc with no problem but on a couple of pc I have had this problem which went away when I unistalled it.

The other normal fix for IE is to clear the cache tools/internet options then delete files this cures 98% of IE problems
Community Veteran

Cache has been cleared regularly (many many times!)
TIF has permissions set for read/write for all users
Google toolbar was installed on an identical machine running NT4SP6+IE6SP1 without issue, but removing it on this box doesn't seem to make any difference.