cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE and Windows XP

worcsdave
Grafter

IE and Windows XP

Has anyone else had a problem with opening some webpages using IE and Windows XP? I find that on some pages (e.g. BBC), there is a blank stripe down the right hand edge of the webpage - but that this is not there on all websites. I've tried and tried to find some solution to this, but so far can find noone who knows anything about it! Any suggestions very welcome!
Cheers
Dave

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Duplicate post removed]
8 REPLIES
N/A

IE and Windows XP

Does it by any chance look like the following screen shot?

If so, this is normal.

Sites design there pages to work on as many browsers and screen sizes as possible. 800*600 is still a very common setting. As such, this white band accomodates the 800 pixel width.
worcsdave
Grafter

That's it!

That is exactly it. I still can't quite understand it, but at least it's reassuring to know that it's 'normal' and doesn't mean that there's something wrong with my computer. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.
David,
worcsdave
Grafter

One last point

Is there anything I can do to modify this? Or is that just how it has to be?
Cheers.
csogilvie
Grafter

IE and Windows XP

If a website is designed, and sized for 800*600 and you run anything greater than that, its just the way it has to be. You do gte used to it after a while.
N/A

IE and Windows XP

Only other thing you can do is to set your display resolution to 800 x 600 BUT it will be BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG ! particularly if you are used to 1024 x 768.

Also! Bear in mind that some pages are made in 1024 x 768 and if you view them on a 800 x 600 screen, you may lose some of the content, particularly if the web designer hasnt included scroll bars for you to view. So its swings and roundabouts really.

My advise, keep your settings at 1024 x 768 then at least this way you will be able to view all.
N/A

IE and Windows XP

Yup it's just the site's being made for different resolution sizes...if they can be bothered, they can usually get around it...

The designer for the site I moderate/manage built a layout which detects which resolution someone's computer was set at and expanded the amount of columns to fit it (it was a media site)...It was pretty nifty really...that subsite hasn't been launched yet, so I can't show an example.

We build all our sites with banner's with a repeating image, so the banner expands to the resolution of the user.
N/A

IE and Windows XP

Hi there santiago

Just a quick note. . if this problem really does bug you. . you might want to consider trying another browser alternate to Internet Explorer.

You may wish to consider downloading Opera ( http://www.opera.com ) as this is a Browser thats similar in looks to Internet Explorer, but has a handy Zoom tool on the top right of the page, which allows you to blow up small pages to the size of your desire. Also the pages are usually center justified . .

Something to consider. .

I use Opera at work, home and anywhere where I use the internet , also Opera is Free Software.
worcsdave
Grafter

IE and Windows XP

Thanks - I'll give it a try. Although I'm kind of used to this 'special effect' now, it is still pretty annoying.