cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICMP Echo What is it? how do I stop it?

N/A

OK I'm not that net savy. I have a DSL connection running through a D-Link 504 router and hardware firewall. But GRC.com's tests says it fails as my router responds to pings the "ICMP Echo"

Is this serious? how do I fix it? where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Derek
9 REPLIES
N/A

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that means that your router (or your computer) is responding to standard 'ping' requests.

The severity of this will depend on who you ask; some say that it's very serious because it proves to hackers that your computer exists, some say that it is pretty harmless because it can't actually damage your computer in any way (apart from stealing 32bytes of your bandwidth while you're being pinged).
Community Veteran

Andrew is correct,

Blocking pings is usually a good idea to prevent you being DOSed, however even if you do block the ports a serious DDOS attack could still cause you problems as blocking the incoming ping request still uses some bandwidth.

Chris
N/A

How and where do I do it?, block pings that is. In windows XP?, the firewall? or do I need something extra?

Thank you
Community Veteran

It should be a setting in your router although some routers dont give the option to turn it off. It's not something that needs to be done from Windows.

Chris
N/A

My router (netgear DG814) blocks ping requests by default and doesn't respond to them unless you set it to in the options.
Dont know if it will send ping requests to my pc in the DMZ though..
Community Veteran

It sends them through on mine if I disable all the router's security, never used DMZ but I'd assume its the same.

Chris
N/A

In theory, if the setting is part of the firewall setup, then they should be blocked.

However, it is a simple stray option in the router, then the DMZ (or ZIPB in some routers) should allow it through.
N/A

The D-Link DSL-504 has an advanced filtering and firewall section, but you need a degree in IT to set it up. I've sent Dlink an email requesting help. I've even enabled XP's firewall. But GRC.com still says my PC is responding to pings..........I don't know?
N/A

Remember though, it's not your PC that's responding to pings. It's the router. This means that you would not expect the XP firewall to make the slightest bit of difference.

Your PC will have an 'internal' or 'private' IP address that is not visible to the outside world. The only externally visible device, with a public IP, will be your router. In this instance, it isn't really any big deal that your router is responding to ICMP requests (pings). Since it's going to discard any unrequested packets anyway, knowing your router is there (which is all pinging it will tell someone) is not likely to cause you any harm. This is of course assuming you have a NAT connected router!